Sign in to follow this  

HI guys,

i have been reading this forum alot and its a great site!

but i got drawn (2nd choice, 1st choice was 24b) for the unit 42 juniors only hunt ;)

im pretty sure that the game and fish website says there are only carp is this true? bbut i was hoping to get a coues (its any antlered) :)

if its not true does anybody know some coues places? if it IS true can you help me out to finding some carp places?

Thx alot for respones,

rifle hunting, bowhunting,

fishing, loves the outdoors,

13 year old grant

I don't think they have any coues deer there. I spent a ton of time filming, glassing and following sheep around in unit 41 last year and came up with like 3 mule deer sightings and 2 sheds in 15 days out there. I would say things are probably going to be rough if it is anything like 41 and I was there during the rut ;) . Hopefully there is more deer N of I-10 than south of I-10. Good luck.

Bret M.

Guest Ernesto C

Welcome!! Grant,this is the coolest web site and we are happy that you join us. ;)

Grant,I dont think there is coues in unit 42 so probably your best bet will be to concentrate on a muley,hunt the flats south west of Aguila and south east of Wickemburg (vulture mountains). Also any where north of I-10 is good,there some

big ones in there.

Again thank you for joining us and God bless you today and on your hunt in November.

Hey Bret did you found any rams in 41? I have seen some big ones in there. Did you were scouting or hunting?

Take care and God bless every body.

Ernesto C.

Hi thanks for all your responses,

Thats what i thought no coues ;)

OH well, my dad has a friend that has seen tons of mulies in there and a couple of

"big" 4X4's in there. (or so he says) :) we plan on doing some scouting after bow season is done if i dont fill my 1 deer a year permit then. Hopefully my dads friend is right and i can improve from my first deer in 2002 (a small 4X3 mule deer in unit 23).

Thanks again,

fishing, loves the outdoors,

13 year old grant

My uncles client killed a 175.5 inch ram. I was helping them scout. I saw several rams alive while scouting including some really good high 160's to low 170's type sheep and one that I think was bigger than the one he killed. I was in the Silverbells yesterday and the bighorns are rutting all day. I had two rams yesterday fighting and chasing ewes all over the cliffs in the middle of the day. If you can stand the heat the sheep are really putting on a terrific show right now.

Bret M.

Grant the young hunter

Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy it I do! I don`t think there are many coues deer in unit 42 if any but, I saw one of the biggest desert mule deer I have ever seen one year on my way to unit 20C. It was just northeast of Aguila close to where the 71 and the 93 intersect. I was so shocked to see that caliber of deer in there that I stoped my Vehicle, woke my wife up and turned around. We drove back to where he was and I shined my headlights on him at about 30yards. This thing had 18 or 20 points super mass and was easily 34+ inches wide. My wife never cusses and she said "Oh Sh_ T !!!!!!!!!" . It was around 2.00 a.m. and we sat there and gauked at him. I think Ernesto is right on about the Vulture mountains. That would be my starting point also. You can hunt desert mulies by glassing as long as there are some hills to get a good vantage point from. I would call game and fish and ask to talk to the biologist. If you can`t get any one call the Yuma office and ask for John Hervert, I think he also knows that area, and is very knowledgable. Good Luck! Coues Addict

34 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

man would my dad be a little jealous (its a juniors only hunt) :P as he has been trying to take a 30 plus inch (wide) mule deer for a long time :D (hes even planning on going to utah in 2005)

man that would be a awesome improvement over my small 4X3 in 2002 :D

hehe i hope that buck has been spreading his genes alot. :)

we were gonna scout right around the vulture mountains in a month or two anyway

ill have to post what we saw later.

thanks for the info,

fishing, outdoors loving,

13 year old grant

Grant,

I have spent a lot of time in 42 and have seen some great bucks around Black Rock and along the northeast side of the Bellmount Mts. Access the Bellmounts from I-10 where the powerlines cross the road and head to the Hummingbird Springs wildlife area. There are a couple of water catchments up there that can be key. Hunt north and east of Black Rock toward the Vulture Mine Road.

Sorry, I have never seen or heard of anybody seeing a coues deer, but maybe you'll be the first!

Happy Hunting!!!

Here is a 3x3 Mulie that I shot at the North end of the White Tanks with that same tag except it was regular season. It can be a tough hunt but there are some nice deer in there, I used to know where some toads were but I cant hunt there any more they are building houses there. Good luck on your hunt I hope you shoot a big one.

http://www.bowsite.com/bstrophy/details.cfm?trophyid=2148

bullwidgeon, i would love to glass and video these rams, but i never spent much time in the silverbells. can you point me in the right direction ?

by the way nice deer boots

johnny

Edited by HICAP40