Sign in to follow this  
jgraffaz

Augest archery\building your own tanks.

Can't argue with that, don't mind me I just love wilderness and I can get carried away defending it. I'll try to curb my unnecessary comments in the future.

• Like 1

I don't have a problem with any comments here. I helped build one in the boot hill of NM for desert bighorn when I was down at NMSU many moons ago. The gov. builds them fast and easy. I volunteered with RMEF for on the ground projects here but need to contact someone as they have not contacted me yet. My thoughts would be very labor intensive but what if you put one on top of a hill, buried the tanks underground, had a small float controlled basin on the side hill and used flat green/brown paint to better blend in with the environment? That way really the only thing visible would be the collector about a foot off the ground. Seems like it would help prevent evaporation and freezing, not stick out like a sore thumb, and should last for years.

While scouting for my upcoming bear hunt this year, I stumbled across one of these homemade water catchments. Appeared to be about a 35 gal. Poly drum dug into the earth and flush with the ground. I could smell it long before I ever saw it. Small animals like squirrels, skunks, etc will fall into the reservoir and drown. I doubt any other big game would drink from this but if they did they would probably get very sick.

Just remember if it is on public land anyone can hunt there.If you build a drinker you cant claim that spot as your own.

• Like 1