CouesWhitetail

Women's Javelina Hunting Camp 2015 - An Amazing Experience!

Interesting comment on the mountain lion. A buddy and I hunted the hills east of BANWR one afternoon and had a close encounter with mountain lions. We had split, with my friend going up onto a hill just north of my designated hunt station, when just after reaching my firing point, I heard four snarls on the trail below, followed by a response by another assumed mountain lion on the north hill. I spotted a full sized mountain lion about 100 yards behind my buddy who was now heading northbound. I was finally able to get my friend off the hill he was on and we left the area when nearly dark. I understand that some mountain lions were 'culled' already and that hunters were in the process of 'removing' a couple more in that area. For those hunting that area it would be wise to exercise caution in some of those canyons. The BANWR office mentioned that a staff member had seen an adult mountain lion drinking from one of the headquarter's tanks.

and there is no mountain lion hunting on the BANWR.

Correct, the 'culls' were just outside BANWR boundaries. The cats come free with BANWR adventures, and are really enjoyable to see and hear.

I got this email from one of the students today and thought I would add it to this thread.

What a wonderful program! I just can't thank you enough. You put together such a fine group of experienced hunters with rookies like myself-- I just had a blast. I learned so much! I understand so much more about the strategy involved now. The people you brought together for camp were just amazing. The javelina lecture and sausage demo were excellent --I bought the sausage book Bill recommended and will put it to good use, with a little luck.

My mentors, Mark and Gerry, did so much to help me. Their experience, expertise, and good humor helped me nail that javelina-- it was awesome fun.

Thank you very much for this amazing opportunity.

Alix Heath

post-1-0-36068500-1425826711_thumb.jpg

• Like 3