bonecollector

Scope reticles

I have various hash marks in all of my scopes and some are really useful but mostly for a gun that I don't plan on shooting over 500 yards, probably more like 400yards. I can shoot the hashmarks with good accuracy using iStrelok drop info.

For very accurate long range shooting where you are dialing your turrets hashmarks are not really needed. I have a Leupold ERT with the Horus H37 reticle which is one intimidating reticle that should allow me to never turn a turret. Guess what? I dial the turrets and the rifle has yet to miss a critter. Not bragging, half of those shots were made by other hunters.

If you have marks you need to practice with them as much as the turret. I have all mil reticles and I used to have a couple of rifles I knew pretty well using the marks. I have since forgotten most of what I knew since I don't practice that way anymore. If I were starting out I would go with MOA turrets the measurement is much more intuitive and if you have a spotter much simpler to dial their feedback.

Sightron was mentioned, that will most likely be my next scope purchase followed by Zeiss. Both are great glass and tend to weigh less than the others.