Sign in to follow this  
johnnie blaze

RECORD DESERT WHITETAIL CLUB GET TOGETHER

Looks like a good time. Do you have to have a record desert whitetail to be a member?

I saw this last year. Would like to see more information. :)

TJ

Whattaya wanna know? Just a layed back group of good guys, good horn, good food, good drinks, good atmosphere. I could name drop fellow members, but theirs really no need. Very down to earth peeps. There is raffles, guess the score contest, etc..etc...

TJ: I think I discussed this in my "Sixty Years A Hunter." The club was started in about 1965 by some of the best known southern Arizona whitetail hunters of the time: Wes Bramhall, brothers Jim and Seymore Levy, John Doyle, Les Stewart, Jim Wilson and others. Membership required shooting a B&C record buck, which at the time was 95 inches net (I seem to remember). Members who shot a mule deer (this was when we were allowed to take either species in the same area on over-the-counter tags valid statewide), but were expelled automatically if they shot a mule deer. To rejoin, they had to shoot another record whitetail. This resulted in Les Stewart never qualifying for club membership again after killing a B&C mule deer in the Galliuros. When B&C raised its minimum entry score, the club voted to not to increase its minimum. Later, the no mule-deer rule was dropped. Officers are not elected. The presidency goes to the member who kills the largest buck of the previous season. As Johnnie Blaze says, it's a fun event, with good food, and well attended by some great people. What he didn't say is that the venue, a patio behind a bar on Tucson's Miracle Mile, is small and always crowded. If you want to attend, call Warren Adams and see if there is room. ==== Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Bill;

Sent you a PM ...

Johnnie Blaze:

PM sent your way ...

This is a great club!! This is the first year I couldn't make it in the last 15 years. I have been a member for 30 plus years. The stipulations / qualifications are a lot different than they were 40 years ago , which is what Mr Quimby remembers