capoeirajosh

OTC archery hunt?

Hey, everyone. Went out today and got into some gobblers this morning. It was awesome! Planning on doing the OTC archery hunt that opens May 8th this year. I am pretty green with turkeys, so I was wondering what would be the best bet on how to hunt them that time of year. Will they still be gobbling? Calling, sitting water, still hunting/calling? Any advice would be great. Was super fun this morning talking back and forth with them. Thanks!

Spot and stalk all the way bro! Lol

Hahahahahaha!! Gotta put them to bed first!

Thanks everyone. Sounds like sitting water is gonna be the ticket.

So, do you think that decoys would be pointless on this hunt?

I would think so. Personally I think it is best to just sit the water and let them come in on their own without a decoy. However, some could argue that a decoy may bring them in if they are just passing by...I don't know a lot about it. If it were me I would keep it simple without a decoy.

I would think so. Personally I think it is best to just sit the water and let them come in on their own without a decoy. However, some could argue that a decoy may bring them in if they are just passing by...I don't know a lot about it. If it were me I would keep it simple without a decoy.

I hear ya. How about calling? I know that they aren't going to be AS responsive, but I don't see it hurting your chances. I met a guy that calls turkeys every fall, when they aren't strutting and gets his bird.

I hear ya. How about calling? I know that they aren't going to be AS responsive, but I don't see it hurting your chances. I met a guy that calls turkeys every fall, when they aren't strutting and gets his bird.

Do you mean calling from a blind at water? You can, it shouldn't hurt. Just not excessive calling.

Do you mean calling from a blind at water? You can, it shouldn't hurt. But personally I just like to sit the water and wait.

Yes, calling from a blind at water. Are turkeys active all day?

Do you mean calling from a blind at water? You can, it shouldn't hurt. But personally I just like to sit the water and wait.

Yes, calling from a blind at water. Are turkeys active all day?

Yes they are. If I remember correctly, they have a daily routine which involves completing around a one mile loop everyday.

• Like 1

Calling can be very effective on the later hunts, they may not respond as they come in but if you got the gobbler that is running a flock he will come in if your calling his tune! Lots of folks will over look the later hunt, but it can be really good imo

• Like 1

Calling can be very effective on the later hunts, they may not respond as they come in but if you got the gobbler that is running a flock he will come in if your calling his tune! Lots of folks will over look the later hunt, but it can be really good imo

That's good to hear!

This is my favorite time to turkey hunt the hens are on eggs the bigger birds are still looking for love and there are a lot less hunters out in the field. I call in a lot more birds and they tend to be the older bigger toms.

• Like 1