Sign in to follow this  
grant the young hunter

what is considered "average" group?

what do you guys consider and average group at 20, 30, and 40 yards.

also what would be the largest size group you would hunt with at those ranges?

Right now im grouping about 2 inches at 20 yards. (all five of the arrows are touching each other ) And at 30 yards im shooting more of a 7 inch group. (although ive only shot at that range once.) :D

Thanks for responses

Good hunting,

Rifle hunting, Bowhunting,

Fishing, Outdoors Loving,

13 year old Grant

"average"is different for everyone. The key is to stay with in your limits.

For me it is pretty simple. I'm pretty comfortable shooting at any range where I can hit a pie plate. If I can hit the plate them I feel I can hit and kill the animal. My only problem is I can hit a pie plate from a longs ways away and the animal isn't there when the arrow gets there. So I really try to limit myself to the closer shots.

I've taken the long shots but really don't think that is part of my game anymore. I would have to say I would limit myself to no further than 60 yards on elk and much closer on everything else. The other thing you have to think about is what critter you are hunting. The whitetails are a ton faster and smarter than a Mulie. So you might want to get quite a bit closer so they don't duck the arrow.

Pretty much 35 yards and under. If you are hitting the pie plate then 35 is fine. If not then get closer. Plus, if you can't get that close then you really didn't win even if you do kill the critter.

later,

recurveman

I agree with recurve man. Find your own limits then dont shoot past them. I can get 6 arrows inside of a 3" circle at 60 yards consistantly, but I try to get within 40 yards. The reason is my bow shoots very flat, and at 40 yards my 40, 30 and 20 pin all are in the kill. I can be off on yardage and it doesnt matter. A deer at 60 yards, my 50 pin is at the backbone, and any little flinch is turns bigger at longer ranges. If you want to increase your limits, practice longer than you intend to shoot. I practice at 80 yards all the time, but I will never shoot that distance at an animal (I remove my 80 pin). When I go to 60 I find I shoot much better, 60 becomes easy. Remember one thing, just practice wont make you better, I always think to myself, perfect practice makes perfect. Make every shot count, even on the range and you will be amazed at the results.

Good luck

GMM

I agree with both the above post. I would also say that right now you should not take a shot at over 30 yards. your group is not to bad but remember that is at a known distance. try taking shots from random yardage and angles, then let us know what your groupings are like. I think youll find that your groups are not as good. One thing I do is just walk outside at any angle or yardage and take only one shot, then stop.

anyway Good luck and have fun.

Thanks guys,

My personal farthest range is gonna be 30 yards, im going to try to get my dad to go to the range more. (in our backyard we can get about 19 yards we call it 20)

If i can get my groups at 30 yards to be within a 4 inch circle ill be happy. Which im almost positive i can do with more practice. Im also going to walk the 3d range about 20 times (not in one day :rolleyes: ) to get different angles and try to guess the different ranges.

Good Hunting,

Rifle hunting, bowhunting,

Fishing, Outdoors loving,

13 year old Grant