Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Bows and moisture?

Recently got a new bow and started shooting again after 20 years. Practicing in the back yard and it starts to rain got me to wondering about the problems that might arise from getting drenched while out in the middle of a hunt?

Wet strings, arrows and such have to cause things to fly different?

Any experienced archers have thoughts on the do and don't s

Yes rain does affect arrow flight, and a wet string isn't good. If you properly wax your string and cables and keep them waxed then it will not absorb the moisture but it will sit on the surface. All of this will slow your bow down some but how much depends on what you shoot. Heavier arrows will be affected much less than a lightweight arrow. A couple things to keep in mind, I'm the kind of hunter that considers my bow a tool to be used not a safe queen that can't get dirty or scratched. If you practice in real life hunting situations like wind, rain, shooting from different positions and with an elevated heart rate then you will be more prepared for the circumstances each hunting scenario will provide.

• Like 1

One post rain consideration, if you shoot a mechanical release and the trigger system takes on moisture make sure you dry it out and add lube, etc. if anything got rusty/sticky.

• Like 1