Adicted

Help me Clarify UTV Laws her in AZ

Regardless of what the law says, or the worry of a ticket, I can't for the life of me come up with a valid reason to put yourself much less a kid in a UTV with out a brain bucket. Things happen. No matter the cage installed, it offers ZERO protection from objects such as rocks or branches entering the passenger compartment, and if you're using stock shoulder style harnesses instead of 4 or 5 point protection, it's pretty darned easy for the head of a person to protrude from the perimeter of the cage in an accident. UTVs are also not tested to the same crash standards as a standard vehicle for on-road collisions. In most cases, the factory "cage" is designed to hold up the roof, not to protect occupants from a rollover or crash. I've seen a razor flipped in the middle of a well maintained dirt road while quickly flipping a U-turn from a dead stop, with no injuries. All occupants had 4 point harnesses and helmets.

I've seen in person a helmet save me and others from life altering injury on mountain bikes, motorcycles, and offroad race vehicles.

A guy from AZ was tragically killed during his first outing in a newly completed Formula Toyota buggy, from a head injury. It was a very non-technical section of trail, and was an unexpected low speed rollover. Head protection and/or using his harness would have likely allowed him to climb out and walk away. He left a young wife and a toddler or two behind. Sometimes in life you don't get a second chance.

If you can afford a UTV, you can afford helmets. GET SOME.

• Like 3

Sure seems like someone in the government has alwayse got to tell us what we can and cant do, even in the middle of nowhere

Seems to me it would be just like kids on a boat. Life Jackets on a boat, helmets on an ATV, no exceptions.

• Like 1

Sure seems like someone in the government has alwayse got to tell us what we can and cant do, even in the middle of nowhere

Even if the Gov. isn't telling you what to do, don't YOU think it's a good idea for a child to wear a helmet?

• Like 1

Brenda Harley from Toleson, my stepsister riding a bike (mc) when she was 23 years old went down a hill, lost control and wrecked hitting her head on a rock. Vegetable the rest of her life. Helmet would have saved her and our family from all the Dr. bills, traumatic ups and downs and her life would have been great.

• Like 1