Sign in to follow this  
Brush Buster

Which Trail Cam?

I am sure this has been talked about before but I could not find much with the search. I am looking to buy a few trail cameras to use here in NM. I want digitals, I plan on using memory cards, and a card reader so I can see the pictures in the field. I would want the date and time displayed also. Any advise on a modle or a person who builds them would be helpful.

Thanks

I like the stealth-cam cameras, because they are easy to use, and put out nice photos IMO. Of course I guess they are all nice, and easy to use now. There is also a cheaper one from Wal-Mart that puts out decent photos for the price. Personally though I would only choose to use that one where there is a chance that it may be found, and walk away. I only put my cheap ones near water holes, and try not to put them over the hole is possible. And save the expensive digitals for deeper in areas where maybe only the more dedicated hunters may find them, and not the weekend warriors on quads. You may want to look a little lower where one of our members just posted some very nice photos that were taken with home brew cameras! I'm strongly thinking about attempting one of those. B) My main piece of advice is to buy one that you are comfortable with leaving out in the field attached to a tree for a week or two. I was worried about leaving mine out, and had it for months before I put it out for the first time. They do no good sitting on your shelf or in a pack. I also went to the army surplus store, and bought each camera it's own gas mask bag. I can put all the componets and lock in those bags for the camera, sling it over my shoulder and be good to go. Just another thought. :D

Bass- Give making a homebrew a shot.....its much easier than it looks and if you can find one of the cameras (that are used for homebrews) for a good price on ebay it shouldnt cost you too much. It quite an accomplisment to get pics of your animals with something you've built. Go with the Bigfoot board as I have heard nothing but good about them. hagshouse.com

Go with a home brew! Treestandman and myself have used about every make and model you can think of and none of them work as well as the home brew kind. Most of the store bought ones are battery hogs, or don't have much in the way of security. I've built a couple for around $200 - $225 that I'm real happy with.

I agree with the comments above about not putting it on a water hole or another area where it will be found. People, especially other hunters will steal them!!! The only thing the locks do is keep honest people honest, if a crook wants it, he'll get it.

Good luck, cause you'll be hooked in no time!