Sign in to follow this  
IHunt2live

My Utah Fun/Work

Thought some of you might enjoy these. I took these up in Utah the past two summers while working for a freind on his phd study on Sage grouse. We worked 7 days a week but some days we made sure to finish a little early for some fun. Sorry about the quality, I used a cheep camera and I had to scan them in. I also regrect not taking more pictures. The first pic is the type of area we were in and me doing some radio telemetry. Sagebrush step, Utah's breading grounds for pronghorn.

This next pic is me with probably a day old chick. We would catch them and then put small radios on them.

We fallowed the hens and chicks as they moved to higher country and often times they would spend most of their time in aspen like this

Thats about all the somewhat good ones I have from working. We used atvs a ton and I wish I had pics to share with you. I almost killed myself many times with those things. I would go through a tank of gas at least once every two days sometimes a tank of gas a day. Now I'll share pics I took on the time off.

Most of my time off was spent fishing in small streams. This first pic is of a decsent brown that i cought. I think that steam had to much fish in it because the fish you did catch were pretty skinny, but they were healthy non the less.

Another stream I like to fish was flyfish only with native cutthroat with these. They are called Tiger troat. I can't recall what they were a mix of but they are unable to breed so they would take over the streams but they were planted for sport. They fought realy well and with a 4 weight they were tons of fun. This is about the bigest you would see.

This was one of the biggest streams I liked to fish. It was stacked with fish.

This was a high alpine lake, really hard to get to so I only got to go once. It held realy big browns but the day i went it rained as soon as we got there and it was pretty hard to flyfish it so I have not pics of fish from it.

Thats about all I have I'll finish with a nice pic of some scenery looking up from one of the stream.

That about sums it up. I regret not having taken more pics.

Thanks for looking.

Outstanding pictures. Thanks much for sharing!

I went to college in SLC, and I'm still in love with the state. Get up there at least once per year for camping/fishing/hunting.

Thanks again!

S.

:)

Just found this one. It's one of our work-trucks loaded with the atv I used. My wife, who was also working up there also, used the truck and I used the atv, at first I would keep the dogs in the truck but because I was on the atv so much and I would never have the dogs with me when I would see grouse, so I began strapping their kennel on the back of the atv. Worked great but the dogs sure and some bumpy rides when I would ride cross country. Ever once and awhile they would get sick of the bumps and eachother and the would nip at eachother. But overall the didn't mind, they loved working up there as much as I did. Good times. :P

O, sorry about the camera strap thats in the way, my mom took the pic and we still can't break her of that habit.

post-1770-1179180540_thumb.jpg

thanks for sharing the pics.. I need to get up in that sage grouse country with my mutts sometime.. looks like good country to run them in!

Hey Scottyboy, You're right its a must for any bird hunter to run your dogs on sage grouse. It can be tuff for a lot of dog being on sage grouse for the first time. i saw a lot of experienced dogs strugle. We would host the Utah Ckucker foundation members who would bring their dogs and help with a grouse count.

If your ever serious about going. Let me know. Not sure I could go but I could tell you right were to go and maybe hook you up with some locals. Theres a few populations in Utah but the mountian we were on had the best habitat and number of grouse. During the right time of the summer you could find 100+ grouse in one draw, no kiding. For those dogs used to small quail, when a big old male sage grouse, sometimes in groups of 20+, gets up right in front of them their eyes will turn into dinner plates.

I'm not sure if you all know but there are certain places you can hunt Sage Grouse and this moutian is one of them. In Utah the tags, you get two tags, are first come first serve and there not to hard to get, and out of state prices aren't to bad. Nevada has a hunt but they don't allow out of stater hunt.

Nice! ;)

I have enjoyed your post. What part of Utah were you in?

Sorry I forgot to mantion where it was. We lived and worked out of a little town called Loa. Its abot an hour and a half southesat of richfeild. Capital reef national park was about 45 min to the east.