Sign in to follow this  
azshtr

Tent Trailer Advise

Extra weight bouncing on your roof. Doesn't run on battery, and your camping you got to rough it a little. My star craft rt 11 is set up. for it

For years we tented it. And then my buddy got a pop up for him and his wife. The only problem was storage, he didn't have space. So then it came into "i can hold that for you". ha ha.

Having grown up without the luxury of a camp trailer we are set in our ways, sorta. One "quick and dirty" turkey hunt into unit 8 I spent the first night in a 3 man tent with my brother. Back issue, sleeping on a rock, and opening day anxiety, I didn't sleep. But the tent we had at the time, I was inside against the non opening wall. After that trip we opted, camping in tents... hunting in the trailer.

In the 10+ years of using it, I can only recall one trip that we "hung out" in the trailer. Javelina in 37b, where we camped it got so cold and windy as soon as the sun went down. It was nice to have a place to sit in and play cards. We were still bundled in layers and waiting to go to bed. In a tent, we woulda packed up. (this was also the year I purchased a little buddy the next week).

There's "tailgating" style grills (coleman makes a nice one) that we have. We don't cook anything inside. Mainly because #1 it inconvenient, #2 the canvas will smell like dinner the rest of the trip. Its a dry place to sleep, change, and store clothes (like this past turkey hunt).

Livin' lite makes aluminum camp trailers that are pretty simplified https://www.livinlite.com/qs-tentcampers.php. (who wants to poop next to your pillow? as in most of the pop ups now.) If you're going to go new.

The only thing I can add is layout. The one I purchased from my buddy (eventually) has two slide out bunks and a dineout (standard set up). But the dine ette bunk is under the back bunk. 9/10 its only two of us in the trailer so we put the table outside as a work space. But with the traditional over under bunk is a pian if you need the table inside or have to use all three bunks (think of climbing over someone to answer nature at 3 am) Theres different configurations that have the slide out at each end, but then the dinette is set up off of center to create a walkway to the "top bunk".