Sign in to follow this  
Flatlander

Hunting w/ Epi-Pen

I have had asthma all my life, which complicates this. I am diligent about carrying an inhaler and have had it under control for years now, although seasonal changes and exercise can cause flare ups.

Thanks for all the tips. I can't let this keep me out of the woods.

• Like 1

Even with a mild case of asthma, you never know when you could get into a situation that will cause it to spike. Elevation changes, allergies, humidity, fungus, stress, can all be precursors.

Guest akaspecials

One other suggestion on Epipens: ask the pharmacist for the one with the longest expiration date. They are super expensive through my insurance and I've found that my pharmacist always gives me the one that expires the soonest. Since it's so rare to actually use one, I always have them grab one from the back that has a longer shelf life. It helps the budget a lot to replace the pens every 2 years instead of every six months.

Check the expiration date at the pharmacy counter. I wouldn't accept less than 12 months. Sure I'll take two years, but given the amount of heat and cold fluctuation it would probably be safest replaced after a year anyway.

It has an color indicator on the side that supposedly changes if it's no good. Says right on it not to use if color is changed. At $360 a set (you now have to buy 2 at a time), I am going to use them right up to the expiration date. Hopefully I figure out my trigger and not worry about it so much. Unfortunately I have no idea what could set it off.