Sign in to follow this  
goinhuntn

First or second focal plane

FFP and learn how to use your scope to range. it takes practice, but is really simple formula. sure it can take 30 seconds to a minute to run the numbers. but when you are shooting over 1000 you should have enough time to figure it out. not like your popping off at a running rabbit. just remember big scopes weigh more. but when you want to reach out a stiff barrel and good glass is a must.

Vortex razor gen2 ffp mrad 4.5-27x56. Some good quick release rings and you have one scope that can bounce guns. I use it on my 338 lapua, my 300win my ar10 .308. could even use it on my .06 or 270.

I have switched to FFP on all my rifles except my Gunwerks 28 Nosler. " It still has the Gunwerks G7 scope on it. My Longrange shooting technique is dial for elevation and hold for wind. I had a vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP on only one of my rifles at this point. In 2013 on a 24A couse hunt I happened to be using this rifle for this hunt. A buddy of mine from Texas was on this hunt and put a really bad shot on a couse at 250 yds. As the couse was at a full run out of the bottom of the canyon my spotter was able to range the top of the ridge in front of where the deer was heading. He says 482yds 5.2 minutes elevation and 4minutes of wind left to right, right between the two junipers ridge lined lets hope he stops at the top. It was last light... The ridge we were sitting was too steep to get prone so I slapped my tall stony point bipod on the rifle sat down Indian style with my pack in my lap for stability. As I found the two ridge lined junipers in my scope on 6X I could see the deer making its way to the top In the lower corner of the scope. Instinctively I dialed to 24X where I quickly realized at that magnification the scope couldn't collect enough light to see anything well enough to make a shot. I rolled the magnification down till I had enough light just as the deer thankfully stopped right next to the juniper on the right. Already dialed 5.25 minutes elevation I held the 4minutes of wind and dropped him. I looked at the magnification I was forced to use and it was just shy of 14X. At that moment I realized where the FFP has the advantage for my shooting technique. All my rifles have been switched out but one.

• Like 2

i too prefer the SFP. I agree with a couple of others who have already stated that if you are using a range finder to get accurate yardage, the FFP features are not needed and I hate how the crosshairs can potentially cover up my coues at longer distances :) All of mine are SFP and MOA for finer adjustment at longer distances.

I use FFP for many reasons speedygoss mentioned above. In the heat of the moment I never have to worry what power I am on. And I've never had my target covered up by my crosshairs...

• Like 1

Guest 300ultramag.

They have dot reticle for ffp now so the argument of oversized reticle has been addressed.

FFP doesn't look any different than a sfp I'm not sure why people think ffp is the kool aid. It's all preference. FFP for the win.

• Like 1