Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

One week's growth

So how much more grow time do these muleys have?

I was just studying the pics a little closer and something is a little curious. The shortest point on the turkey foot right rear either grew inches in a day or the close up pic is older than the date on the cam suggests.

I am not an archery hunter :( I seriously have considered starting. I got within archery range on a couple bucks today. One of the reasons I haven't made the leap to take up archery is the idea that if all us rifle hunters took up archery, they'd have to start a drawing for these tags that are currently over the counter.

He is growing nicely and should have a couple more weeks before that testosterone kicks in and chokes off the blood to the antlers... My experience and what I have learned ( of course always exceptions to every rule) Bigger Bucks shed first and rub a bit before the small guys ... Upper plateau Bucks finish and start rubbing mid to late Sept. the Desert Boys tend to fall 2 to 3 weeks behind.... I have seen a few Big guys still with a little velvet hanging on the early hunt, though more the exception. I have seen little guys still in velvet on the late November Hunt down south

• Like 1

First off, here's the buck as of Sept. 5.

1014%202_zps49y5xmgf.jpg.

Now, I have another question. How much does a deer's first year's antlers foretell that buck's antler development in future years?. I.E. if a deer has a drop tine in it's first year, will it be sure or most likely that it will have a drop tine in subsequent years? If a buck's antlers are a-typical in it's first year, will it be a-typical throughout it's life?

Very Cool, we are all learning on this post....

Thanks

More D

• Like 2

from everything I have learned ... Drop Tines can occur for various reason ... Genetics, Injuries to the buck, or just damage during development while in velvet... I have always learned and thought that drops that are genetic continue year after year... Drop Tines caused from damage during development or injuries (that heal) are less likely to become part of the annual growth year after year... I am sure there are some here that can give more insight, as It is an interesting topic.

• Like 1

I was checking my pics from this area last year and I see that the big bucks shed there velvet in the last week of Sept and the young bucks went two weeks longer.

There is definitely some funky genetics in this area.

Look at this guy. Despite the camera's date, pic is from last week.

966_zps28wifdj1.jpgSome close ups of his garbage

965_zpsiyfdznnb.jpg

967_zpspizwegsg.jpg