Sign in to follow this  
AzPlumber

Dry Conditions

Anyone been out yet and have a report on conditions in southeastern AZ. The last 2 years I hunted units 22 & 23, but will be heading south again this year. Good luck to all.

Gary B

Guest Guest

Ugly, Just ugly, About the only waters left are the stock tanks. All the local ranchers have sold down to minimums and some are in the process of selling everything. Unless we start getting some rain soon things will be going from bad to worse. I havent been able to find many coues lately. The mulies are here and in good numbers. But the coues have definately gone nocturnal, and low. The only whitetail I have seen in a while was standing right next to I-10 north(east) of Willcox. One little doe. FIrst time I have ever seen whitetail in that area that low. And the lions are out in force also. Things are going to be interesting this year.

I havent seen it so dry in a long time!!

Just wanted to add that I saw a WT doe and fawn the last week of April feeding with and around the cattle, then running in the flats about 2-3 miles before you get to Sonoyta. I know that they are normaly in that part of S. AZ, but I mean way low in the flats????

Guest Jim Sparling

I was scouting last weekend in and around 35B when at about 2:30 pm there was a good downpour of rain. Hopefully this is a signal of coming monsoons and everthing will green up a bit. As a point of interest, last archery season I saw a monsterous lion standing in the middle of the road halfway up sycamore canyon in 35B catching some morning sun. He waited until I got just barely to within bow range and calmly walked off into the brush. I am afraid that they may have had an impact on the fawns this year. Also, during the previous rifle season in that same area we saw two jaguars so if you want to thin out the lions there, be sure of your target.

Jim Sparling

I WONDER HOW MANY JAGUARS ARE OUT THERE, I SEEN ONE LAST YEAR IN 35A IN OCT.

I WAS SCOUTING YESTERDAY IN 35A, WE SEEN A COUPLE OF BUCKS ANTLERS WERE ONLY 3-4 INCHES LONG, BUT THEY WERE PRETTY GOOD SIZED DEER, SEEN LOTS OF DOES. THERE HAD BEEN RAIN ON FRIDAY WITH PUDDLES ALL OVER, BUT THE STOCK TANKS WERE EMPTY, IT WAS STARTING TO RAIN AS WE WERE LEAVING AND THAT SHOULD HELP

I am amazed that even one person on this forum has seen a Jag, let alone two people. That is a good question: I wonder how many jaguars there are in the state? The Game Dept is hooked up with some other agencies in an effort to study this awesome cat - track and tally sightings, and try to figure out their travel corridors so's to help them repopulate their old stomin grounds. You guys ought to report your sightings, if you haven't already.

Maybe if they come back real good and start leaning on the deer real hard the Deptartment will let a few of them be "depredated".

Naw! probably not!

I sure would like to see one!

Mike

WE REPORTED WHAT WE SEEN TO GAME AND FISH, THEY CALLED BACK WITHIN A COUPLE OF DAYS AND WANTED EVERY DETAIL WE COULD REMEMBER, WE HAVE NOT HEARD NOTHING SINCE THEN.