Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

CROSSBOW PERMIT

Many years ago my first reaction to the crossbow was NO WAY! You either hunt with a rifle or use a bow. How selfish I was in my thinking department. Now that I can't pull my bow back, do to an injury, I'm finding it allows a person a chance to still get out and enjoy the sport of hunting. I was issued a CROSSBOW PERMIT by the azgf. I don't know anyone who has used one and my knowledge of their capability is limited to, "I know what they look like". Any info on their performance/ pros and cons would be greatly appreciated. I use a Double Bull blind and won't be climbing any trees in the near future. Thanks!

TJ

My father has had a permit for a few years now. He has a wrist that he broke badly when he was younger and it never healed correctly, and in fact bones joined that are not supposed to be joined, it is unfixable. His doctor told him he'd have to give up archery. He tried a special formed hard brace and other things despite doctor's orders, but it was difficult and its not like he was competing in the special Olympics, he just wanted to go archery hunting. He couldn't practice or shoot consistent which all archers need to do, and it will bother him and he'll have to stop shooting for a couple weeks until things subside. His wrist would swell, he couldn't even use it, and it constantly bothered him. Before with no practice and his wrist, he could not shoot over 30 yards, wide groups, and I had to sight it in, get it tuned, and set it up for him. The crossbow allowed him to hunt and practice and enjoy the things he loved.

He bought a Horton compound crossbow, you can't hardly draw it by hand but it has a separate crank-pulley that is very simple and draws it into position. It is heavy, it shoots very fast and somewhat consistent, but not as much as you'd think. However, with practice and experimenting with different bolt combinations, you should be good up to 70-80 yards. He shot carbon bolts which seemed to give him the best performance. The crank is slow and a bit loud to use, so he only plans on getting one shot, but that's all that he needs and all most archers get anyway.

http://www.crossbow.com/

He loves hunting, but really just wants to shoot a bow like the rest of us to take game. I somewhat convinced him to buy a Hoyt Vectrix and I'm helping him get it all set up, and I think with his wrist brace and sporadic attempts he just might try the new bow out this year. He is shooting much better at 30 yards, and I'm proud of him for trying since that is really the way he wants to hunt. However, if things don't work out, I just might have a new bow next year :ph34r:

Just for the record, I am totally opposed to general crossbow hunting during the archery season! This is in response to the crossbow debate currently going on. However, I feel special exceptions are valid with special G&F approval and permits, espcially for physically disabled or challenged individuals, and this is my only exception. Some of the recent heated crossbow debate info is below in the link

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/200...reat_cross.html

Just for the record,

I know that Tom would prefer to be hunting with his bow.

He has been a very sucessful archery hunting, taking several Elk

and just may hold the record for Javelina.

I also do not think crossbows should be used for hunting except in special medical cases.

It is good the GF does allow it or tags could be wasted.

Any info you can relay to Tom would be great.

Just make sure it is easy to draw as I may be the one drawing it for him :P

Thanks, Mike

Azcoues_addict, thanks for all the information you sent me. There is some really good reading material on those web sites. I never thought I would be in this situation but here I am not being able to use my bow do to major surgery on the shoulder. Frustrating at the least. I can't help but feel guilty about getting this crossbow permit but I just want to hunt. For two years I watched as my streingth declined. I went from shooting 75lbs down to another bow fighting to get 59lbs back. I finally had sugery to repair a torn and distached tendon. My appreciation can't be expressed enough for the info you have sent me. Thanks again and good luck with your draws and hunts. I hope your Dad continues to improve with his situation as well.

TJ

Gamehauler, thanks for the kind words but I'm still not getting all your sodapops whenever you need them.

Ive seen Ted Nugent shoot animals with a crossbow, he uses the Excalibur, might give you a direction to look in, good luck.