Sign in to follow this  
KaibabHunter

Cold weather boots?

So I got the elk hunter sleeping bags (awesome) for our late elk hunt and now I need to shop for insulated boots for my 16 yo boy and I. Not sure what I need but I don't want insulation overkill and light weight would be a plus. Shopping for 2 so price needs to stay on the lower end. Any recommendations?

Sitting or hiking? Being active gives a lot more leeway to how much insulation you might need. Also depends on the weather. My last personal elk hunt was freaking crazy cold back in 99. We were seeing -20° or colder, and never got above 20° the entire hunt. Miserable weather to sit all day in, but not too bad when hiking. Last year on Taylor's hunt, it was 14° in the morning, but in the 50s during the day.

I have the 200 gram Irish Setter Elk Hunters, 400 gram Irish Setter Vaprtrek, and non-insulated Danner Gila. I also take my Sorels. Depending on the planned activities determines what I wear.

A good wool sock (not necessarily the heaviest) works wonders on keeping feet warm in boots that do not have a lot of insulation. Also not tying the laces too tight to let circulation flow helps a ton too. If you go too warm, your feet will sweat, and then get cold from being wet unless you have wool.

One other thing. Construction is a big factor in warmth too. My 200 gram Elk Hunters are just as warm, if not warmer, than my 400 gram Vaprtrek, but heavier total weight wise.

A couple pair of boots is my suggestion. Most importantly, get COMFORTABLE boots early and break them in. Hard to hike when your feet hurt.

• Like 1

I like cold weather boots slightly larger, something waterproof and room for 2+ layers of wool socks. I usually go with rocky boots, I have always had good luck with them and they actually fit my size 13 wides.

A good wool sock (not necessarily the heaviest) works wonders on keeping feet warm in boots that do not have a lot of insulation. Also not tying the laces too tight to let circulation flow helps a ton too. If you go too warm, your feet will sweat, and then get cold from being wet unless you have wool.

A couple pair of boots is my suggestion. Most importantly, get COMFORTABLE boots early and break them in.

I couldn't agree more with Lance's 2 points above, one medium thickness pair of merino wool socks is key.

I used non insulated Danner's on my January OTC deer hunt this year with no problem down to our coldest morning temp of 8 degrees.

The only other thing not mentioned, wax/waterproof/use dressing on your boots in the event it snows/rains. My feet were amazingly warm both sitting in a metal tree stand for hours and hiking several miles through a foot of snow.