THREEDFLYER

Relocating to AZ - New to the forum

Man, get ready for a whole new perspective on hunting, dude. Deer behavior between muleys and whitetails is largely upside down in this state. I came here, from Western Montana, a few years back and I have been able to draw some sort of general tag every year. This year, I didn't draw a deer tag, but I drew an "any elk" tag, so I am happy. Being an archery hunter gives you far more hunting opportunities than I have,

Water is what you carry, I haven't been many places in this state's backcountry, where there existed water that I would want to drink (even if I had a filtration system with me).

If you like to get out and bushwhack, boots don't have long life span in this state. The rock here chews through boots like warm butter vs. 120 deg lava rock.

I live just North of Prescott, and I am still getting to know some of the local area/units.

Here, it's quail not grouse. Maybe grouse further north in the state, but I don't know about that.

I've shot grouse in 27, years ago. As far as water goes. I'm actually amazed at all the springs I've found in the desert, especially all along the slopes of the Bradshaw's

I find that every part of this country has something different to offer and new stuff to explore/discover.

My wife and I enjoy hiking and checking out new areas so I think we will be able to keep busy for years to come.

We have not yet visited Colorado or Utah and look forward to getting up to those areas as well.

Plenty of water up there if I need to soak a fly.

Will check in more often as we get closer to the move early in 2016. Assuming the house sells quickly, we could be in the area by mid/late February.

In the meantime, I will be checking out the job opportunities and hopefully get something lined up prior to the move.

Threedflyer, I too grew up in Washington, Seattle specifically. We hunted first on the west side but very quickly grew tired of the solid overcast of 170 days per year, the continual rain and dampness, deep mud (ever jump from skunk cabbage patch to skunk cabbage patch in a beaver marsh only to miss and plunge seven feet into a black-water channel when duck hunting?), and near zero visibility in the forest due to the heaviest brush and undergrowth we have ever seen. We then began hunting on the east side in and around Yakima, Ellensburg, Wenatchee, and Blewett Pass and loved the much more open, and far drier forest. You will find the Arizona Colorado Plateau forests (northern and eastern AZ) much like those of eastern Washington, but warmer and usually more 'user friendly'. The biodiversity range is extreme here, from low desert javelina and coues deer hunting in cactus and ocotillo to the 9,200 msl Hannagan Meadow for elk, mule deer, bear, and blue grouse (the 'frontier') area with dripping springs, open meadows, and sub-alpine firs with hanging lichen. You will find places you will love to hunt here. Welcome to Arizona and good hunting.