Sign in to follow this  
core2

Some Fall sheds

Dialing in on a new shed spot in southern NM. We pulled 9 out of a relatively small area in 2 day hikes. Plenty of chalks so this place is ours. Grass is finally dying off, we glassed one from 1/8 mile on the other side of a canyon.

post-13422-0-69016700-1445825310_thumb.jpg

post-13422-0-83467000-1445825319_thumb.jpg

post-13422-0-18023100-1445825323_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Lookin good, Lincoln Forest?

I'm wondering if the elk heard in San Mateo is large enough to make shed hunting worthwhile?

Edge--- When we were in the Lincoln for turkey hunting this last spring we saw a lot of elk. I have seen that scenery I just have to think to remember it. Don't worry though as I only shed hunt when hunting other critters.

Yea, this is Lincoln county. The spot we hunted borders the Apache reservation and a couple of the big hunting ranches so hopefully we can pull some big sheds out of there. It looks promising so far. If you've driven Hwy 70 you know that scenery in the pic behind the truck.

Have y'all looked in the San Mateo's?

Yeah my brother and his buddy shed hunted A-L Peak last June I believe. They found some big chalks but nothing too exciting for freshies. They got ran off by the heat so I think another trip will be in order next year.

Yeah my brother and his buddy shed hunted A-L Peak last June I believe. They found some big chalks but nothing too exciting for freshies. They got ran off by the heat so I think another trip will be in order next year.

I'm wanting to ride back up to the Apache Kid grave. Know of any reliable water up there?

I'm wanting to ride back up to the Apache Kid grave. Know of any reliable water up there?

I'll ask my bro about it next time I see him. That area and Cibola are usually pretty dang dry. Lincoln county has had a ton of rain the last few months and every stream and creek and low spot has water right now. It hasn't been this wet since the 90s.

Edge,it was interesting to me that you know about the Apache Kid gravesite.My grandpa,and his brother were in the posse that killed him back around the turn of the century.They ranched in the Dusty area,and my dad was born at the old calvary fort,Ojo Caliente,at the Montecello box

Edge,it was interesting to me that you know about the Apache Kid gravesite.My grandpa,and his brother were in the posse that killed him back around the turn of the century.They ranched in the Dusty area,and my dad was born at the old calvary fort,Ojo Caliente,at the Montecello box

Hey Cliff, I sat beside you at the recent SCI banquet.

I've been in the San Mateo's twice, made it once to the graves. What a coincidence, Cliff, I've read everything I could find on that event and the history of that area. When the gang was shot at their mtn hideout, the posse opted to just return the gangs heads to San Marcello. The Kids head remained on display in a jar of alcohol until the town was buried in a flood decades later.

Those hills are also thought to hide 2 brass Howitzers taken from Ft Craig and later cached by the Confederates on their route back to TX

To cool, Cliff I read all about your kin.

PS, been to Ojo Caliente, too.

My grandparents worked on what was once the Diamond A, west of Ft Bayard.

I still have some cousins in the area.I went over and helped them on the archery elk,rifle elk hunts for about a month.My grandparents left that country after a severe drought,and came to peeples valley in a covered wagon in 1920.

Neat stuff Cliff, have you been in the San Mateo's, know of reliable water in there?

No I haven't been,sorry.