Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Fun at 500 yrds.

A couple of my buddies and myself spent a couple hours at Phoenix Rod and Gun getting ready for our cow elk hunt next month. We got all the rifles dialed in at 100 & 200 so we decided to move back to the 500 yard line to take a poke. We all actually did pretty well for shooting mostly stock rifles. One of my buddies smacked a bullseye on his 3rd shot after putting 2 rds low and right.

I missed my first shot because I have never shot this load at 500 yards. I used the 500 yard holdover pin in my scope and was WAY high. I moved down to the 400yrd pin and smacked steel. I then put down this 3rd group that I was VERY happy with. I am very impressed with how well this rifle shoots. I know it is probably luck, but this rifle and some of my nothing special handloads and this rifle flat performs.

These are 115gr Berger VLD's over 67.0grs of H1000 shooting prone off my bipod. I am now really interested in getting this thing on a chrono. I think my rounds are hotter than I thought they were since I only had to use my 400yrd pin to be smacking steel like this at 500yrds. I am sighted slightly high at 200yrds though which I know is part of the reason.

This long range thing is addictive. I want to get more rounds loaded and go back for more. I need more glass though. 9x isn't all that great at 500yards.

post-592-0-70373700-1446753385_thumb.jpg

It is my Weatherby Vanguard in .257 Weatherby Mag. Redfield Revolution 3-9x40, Timney trigger @ 3lbs. The rifle is all stock except the trigger.

This rifle always amazes me how accurate it is. I really want to put a higher power/nicer scope on it but I am afraid to mess with success. It's one of those "don't fix it if is isn't broken" kind of things.

• Like 3

Heck yeah that's a nice grouping! B) B) B)