Sign in to follow this  
one_drake

AZ Unit 9?

Been doing a lot of research for OTC hunt this january. Seems most guys/ gals head to southern AZ for january but i wanted to stay in the northern part of the state. I can't find much of any info about the area besides what the fish and game website says. Any thoughts on Unit 9 for January? I have to believe it has some good deer, being close to the "strip". All thoughts/ opinions welcome, and thanks for taking the time to help.

Brandon

I wouldn't say any strip deer make their way over to 9......something's about a big ditch they are unwilling to cross. I know 9 holds some nice bucks though. My strategy for the January hunt is to hunt the units around my home, that way I can go out more without committing an entire day or weekend to travel and whatnot. More time in the field=more opportunity at deer. And IMO every unit in this state holds slammer bucks, you just got to find 'em.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say any strip deer make their way over to 9......something's about a big ditch they are unwilling to cross. I know 9 holds some nice bucks though. My strategy for the January hunt is to hunt the units around my home, that way I can go out more without committing an entire day or weekend to travel and whatnot. More time in the field=more opportunity at deer. And IMO every unit in this state holds slammer bucks, you just got to find 'em.

Thanks for the info, plan on 8-12 days moving around the unit. Maybe move to another next year if we don't find what we are looking for. But like you said i don't want to unit hop and waste time driving when i can be hunting.

Don't bother going between Red Butte and Tusayan. I spend a lot of time in there and there is little deer sign.

Don't bother going between Red Butte and Tusayan. I spend a lot of time in there and there is little deer sign.

Ya

Thanks. Was hoping to look in the north east corner of the unit, where there is a little elevation difference and also hike all along the coconino rim. There seems to be a small valley running south of the airport too that looks interesting. My dad will probably bring his animals so we can cover a lot more ground.... and have a slight elevated vantage point.

Brandon

just realized that spot below the airport is where you said has little sign.... so that helps narrow the spots.

There are deer in there but that can be a tough hunt.

Keep in mind that once the roads start getting pretty snotty they close them and access can be a challenge

Unit also has over the counter javelina tags and there are plenty in the unit now a days

Keep in mind that once the roads start getting pretty snotty they close them and access can be a challenge

Unit also has over the counter javelina tags and there are plenty in the unit now a days

Thanks for the info. I am getting a lot of info from guys on how bad the weather can get there. Just hope we get a few good days to poke around. I don't know the first thing about finding javelina, but maybe we will stumble across some. Are they at higher elevations 6500 and up?

Thanks for the info. I am getting a lot of info from guys on how bad the weather can get there. Just hope we get a few good days to poke around. I don't know the first thing about finding javelina, but maybe we will stumble across some. Are they at higher elevations 6500 and up?

Have hunted that unit many tomes and hit it hard every spring. We see javelina everywhere in the unit. The are big, thick and wooly. The weather can be crappy. It gets plenty cold out there.

Have hunted that unit many tomes and hit it hard every spring. We see javelina everywhere in the unit. The are big, thick and wooly. The weather can be crappy. It gets plenty cold out there.

Thanks again for the info. My dad has a friend that has worked the grand canyon for 25 something years and hunted around there. He is gonna give him a call and see what he knows about the area as well. Hopefully he has some good deer pockets that he knows about. Just got some more cold weather gear and getting pretty excited about the hunt.

I helped my buddy scout Unit 9 for elk this past August and I bought an OTC tag just in case.. Saw some track but that was about it! We ended up getting a nice buck on the game cameras at night near a tank but that was it.. Slim picken's for deer in unit 9..

• Like 1

I helped my buddy scout Unit 9 for elk this past August and I bought an OTC tag just in case.. Saw some track but that was about it! We ended up getting a nice buck on the game cameras at night near a tank but that was it.. Slim picken's for deer in unit 9..

Dang, thats a bummer. May just turn into a camping trip where we hike every morning at dawn.... :(

Dang, thats a bummer. May just turn into a camping trip where we hike every morning at dawn.... :(

Its just how Game and Fish manages the unit dude.. The pretty much keep all the elk on the south rim and all the good deer on the north rim.. There were a few other people looking for deer in unit 9 with an OTC tag when I was there .. I just didnt see any .. SIt a water tank and you might get lucky. They will be in the rut so ya never know.