Sign in to follow this  
varnco

Unit 24A - Just a little help with OTC

So, I'm going OTC for deer in December, since I had tag soup in October with Rifle

I'm going to go scout out 24A, and wondering if I could get some thoughts from those that have been on the condition of the roads in December?

My only reference ponit is Unit 33, the peppersauce canyon area (easy/breezy roads) and then the roads up to Oracle Ridge and/or Charloue Gap (ATV or 4x4 with Loc Diff needed).

Is an ATV needed with will a regular truck and/or 4x4 do just fine? I'm considering going all the way up to Signal Peak, coming down from Miami.

Given I have no idea on the road conditions in these mountains, how long of a trip would this be?

Any thoughts, opinions or experience is appreciated.

easy road if there is no snow. Once the snow comes, that road can get hairy on some of the switchbacks or hills. I have used chains in December to access Signal peak. The road gets extremely Icy when the snow comes. If no snow, Piece of cake

Guest 300ultramag.

To answer ur question the road has its hazards. Def. Better without snow.There's plenty of low country that holds both Muley and coues. Sometimes that area near signal peak will hold more hunters than other parts of the unit. unless your looking to hang a treestand then you'll be in the right area for that

Probably going up this weekend with a buddy to scout around and setup a camera or two. Just wanted to know if we should bring the quads or leave them at home.

Actual hunting will be later December, so hopefully the rut may be starting by then.

I'm just wanting to do some tree standing for a change.

24A only has 50 permits for rifle in late December, so there shouldn't be too many hunters around?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought OTC was for the Archery hunts. And yes I hunt the pinals a lot and it is always busy up there in Dec and Jan. Not to say good hunting can't be had but get away from the crowds. I walked a specific trail earlier this year to find a spot for a stand or blind and came across several stands. So there is no secret spots there at all.