WampusCat

Sierra Tipped Matchkings

None at any critters. I'd love to know how they react.

As far as paper, I'm very pleased. The 155, 168 and 175 all shoot well in my primary 308. The 175 is exceptional.

Good to know. I stockpiled some of the 77 gr .224 offering in hopes of replacing my 75 gr bthp Hornady pet load when I'm home. I may end up with some of those 175s too.

My Savage .22-250 loves the new 69 grain versions. Prints five shots into the high .2's low .3's easily. It's boringly accurate for a stock rifle. I am using 37.5gr of R-17 for a velocity of 3440fps and they are providing about two and a half inches less wind drift at 500 meters over the standard match kings of the same weight.

• Like 1

My wife just took her coues with the 168gn TMK.

It did its job, it's not a gameking but it worked. It blew up. All it took was one at 635yrds

It did its job, it's not a gameking but it worked. It blew up. All it took was one at 635yrds

Thank you for sharing. Could you elaborate a little? Maybe what the cartridge used was, starting velocity, estimated impact velocity etc... You said blew up. Was there an exit? Did you hit shoulder or leg bone or ribs?

Have you used AMAXs on deer? If so, how did they compare?

Any other info is appreciated!

M

Interested in the same ^^^

Figuring the tip would enable similar performance to the AMAX.

I do wonder why they didn't offer a heavier (200gr+) .30 cal

Give them time. I emailed them the other day asking about the possibility of a 115 or heavier 25cal tipped match king and the response was basically to be patient as they were still in the works of rolling out other bullets. Sounds like they got plans for many more bullets to come which is good.

Good to hear. I was bummed when I saw the 6.5 offering was only 130 gr with .518 G1.

I think it will be the ticket for my all purpose AR load in the 77 gr .224 though.

Thank you for sharing. Could you elaborate a little? Maybe what the cartridge used was, starting velocity, estimated impact velocity etc... You said blew up. Was there an exit? Did you hit shoulder or leg bone or ribs?

Have you used AMAXs on deer? If so, how did they compare?

Any other info is appreciated!

M

Shooting a 300wsm 2950fps at muzzle and around 2000fps at 600ish. Just looked at my dope! It entered the coues just high and behind the shoulder. The bullet completely came apart with no exit wound. Never used amaxs only sst in a .270. This was the first critter using the TMK.

I'm shooting 3/8s groups at a 100yrds

6.5x20 50mm vari-x iii with custom Leupold CDS turrets

Remington 700 with a little Gunsmithing

Thank you azhamill.

Wow no exit. I've always had AMAXs exit except for one Sitka blacktail which mushroomed out and stopped in the offside hide.

It sounds like they're almost scary explosive. I guess for thin skinned light game, that's alright. I never planned on using them on anything big and heavy anyway, just deer size game.

I'd be a really happy man if they'd offer a 190 TMK.

I'm running the 168s at 2856 and the 175s at 2744.

Thanks azhamill

308Nut, what barrel length and powder gets you those numbers?

26" 11.25x 5R. IMR4064. 210m.

Hodgdon's reloading site shows 2728'sec for the 175 SMK with 4064 in a 24" barrel so I'm right in there. I've pushed them faster without any pressure signs but the best accuracy is at 2744'sec.

They show at least 4 different powders at over 2700'sec under the 175.

For the 168 they only show one load over 2800 but most of the other powders they have listed with the 168 smk are under the max recommend pressure.

I get even better velocity with the 178s in the Palma case and H4350. 2796'sec to be exact. The 175 would likely exceed 2815'sec. Accuracy is reasonable but 1/3 MOA is tough to beat and 2744 is nothing to sneeze at.

If you really want to melt some bullets out of the 08, try N540 and N550. It's insane. Less recoil too. Much smoother pressure curve.

If you really want to melt some bullets out of the 08, try N540 and N550. It's insane. Less recoil too. Much smoother pressure curve.

Gonna make me hijack my own thread with a statement like that. Haha. I've never fooled with vihtavori stuff cause it's more expensive but mostly cause I really like hodgdons extreme line. I'll send you a PM.