Sign in to follow this  
PelaPapas

Thumb Release (Target Panic Related)

I previously posted this up, but posted in wrong section. So I will post this up here....

Seems like target panic is starting to creep up on me. The last couple times I've gone to the range I've noticed myself "drive-by" shooting and trying to time the pin to hit the bullseye and punching the trigger. It's really starting to bug me. I've read the Target Panic Cure thread on here and there's a lot of good info on there! Yesterday I went out to range and was slowing taking my time with each shot, focusing on target and trying to hold the pin in the center. Overall I did ok, but one shot I felt myself jerk right before I pulled the trigger. It was a horrible feeling and the shot was way off. This has never happened to me and feel like if I don't take care of it now, it will get worse. Archery is one of the best hobbies I've picked up and don't want to ruin it with target panic.

I wanted to see if using a thumb release would help me out on this problem. Does anyone here have a spare thumb release they would be willing to lend me for a couple weeks to see if this would work out for me?

Any Info/Help is appreciated!!!

Reading that thread was the worst thing that ever happen to my archery career lol. First time I shot after reading it I had so much crap going through my head. I stopped, relaxed, gently and confidently squeezed the release. Don't over think it and make a problem that doesn't exist.

Hope you get it sorted out bud.

• Like 1

Reading that thread was the worst thing that ever happen to my archery career lol. First time I shot after reading it I had so much crap going through my head. I stopped, relaxed, gently and confidently squeezed the release. Don't over think it and make a problem that doesn't exist.

Hope you get it sorted out bud.

Hahaha I had the same thing going on when I went out on sunday. I kept telling myself to slow down and have fun haha. It worked until I made that one bad shot and jerked real bad. It really surprised me when that happened. Never had that happen and I was asking myself "whats wrong with you"? I never had this target panic up until the last couple times I've gone to range. Thinking a thumb release will help out?

Good topic, I'm considering moving to a back tension at least as a training aid. Not sure I want to use one hunting but I'm also open to seeing how I shoot with one. Looking at the Scott Longhorn.

• Like 1

I tried this technique and it has helped me tons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3kouteetIg

Seen that video the other night. Good info. I will be trying everything I can this long holiday weekend.

When I bought my last bow, I upgraded to a new release as well. Soon after I developed a bad case of punching the trigger. Read all the posts, did my research and finally tried a thumb release, chocolate lite, never cared for it. Just could not shoot consistently with it. Upgraded to a tension release, Carter Evolution. Works real well. Once you apply the set pressure/poundage, it will release. Not trying to sell you this release, just works well for me. I also spent a lot of time shooting a bag in my garage just getting used to learning the release. 10/ 15 arrows a day worked for me. Then spent even more time micro tuning my bow in order to minimize the pin float. It still moves around a bit, but I managed to shrink the circle quite a bit. this whole process has all been hit or miss. Tried a few things that worked and others had to be undone because they were not very helpful. Lowering my poundage from 72 to 65 also helped quite a bit. Deer can't seem to tell the difference.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/carter-evolution-release-4-finger.html

For hunting a still shoot a wrist release. I just set the trigger to the heaviest setting. I can rest my finger on trigger all day and it will not go off, until I pull through it. Light trigger on this release seemed to have started target panic in my case.

• Like 2

The target panic cure thread has a lot of good info. The real issue is if you do find yourself doing "drive byes", STOP. Don't reinforce a bad habit. A mild case is much easier to deal with. Practice techniques that will get you back in control.

A thumb release will likely help in the short term but panic can be learned with almost any aid. Best to work on the root cause.