Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

getting close i think...

2nd time taking my new 7mm mag out. so far it's working out pretty good. i've been focused exclusively on characterizing the ogive to base measurement....i went a little granular in between two windows that seemed to stand out on the last outing.

Shooting 60gr RL22, 168gr Bergers hunting VLDs, and with the following jump:

Top left: .05

Top Right: .06

Bottom Left: .07

Bottom Right: .08

Center: .09

(I narrowed it to somewhere in between .05 -.09 on the last trip).

all shooting was done from a sled today. all in all, pretty happy. i'm not sure why the bottom right group was looser than the others...i shot another group of this load and had .464" group....so i might have been getting chilly/tired.

i'm going to go with the midpoint group (bottom left) as it looks like i have margin on both ends of the spectrum.

now the question is do i dick around with increasing the powder charge or do i call it good. aside from the obvious benefit of jacking up the charge (slowly) to get more speed and energy, what are the other considerations? I was thinking it might be better to keep it at 60gr as it's lower recoil and less wear and tear on the barrel (which i'm keen to in good shape for a long time...not a cheap investment).

thoughts?

Miles

post-13089-0-98117200-1450913399_thumb.jpg

If you can, I'd shoot groups at that distance from the onset. Shotting at 100 yards in my opinion is pretty close to a waste of time and components.