Sign in to follow this  
rossiranch

Have a few coues questions

Howdy, let me start off by stating that I am mainly a mule deer hunter but have a high interest in coues deer. Mainly from my neck of the woods (very low Sonoran desert), but only cause I'm a desert rat! Anywho, I've seen a few does before and gotten the random pic of a buck or two at water but both were completely random and only happened once. Last week while atop a high hill I glassed up a beautiful, tall 3x3 coues buck with 2 muley does. It was without a doubt a coues buck, and I was able to stalk 130 yards to him. Anyways my question is do you think that's his home area, or was he just following those does around? I hiked into that canyon today and set up 2 cameras near trails with mineral rocks so hopefully I'll have some pics soon!

He's probably just chasing some babe's, it is that time for them to start rutting.

Agreed, but do they travel great distances looking for love like desert muleys? Or could that canyon be his home turf? Idk how big of an area they live in.

its a tough question to answer as far as if its his home area or not without having seen him there in the past to know for sure. it very well could be where he stays and these doe just happen to be coming thru that area. but to answer your questions yes Coues will travel some pretty good distances sometimes trailing those ladies just depends on the circumstances. but don't be discouraged if you don't find him on your cameras there have been plenty of deer glassed up in areas I hunt that I haven't seen on a trail cam. good luck to you!

• Like 1

Thanks man! Honestly I'd be happy just to get a pic or two of him! Not really even planning on attempting to "target" him, more than likely I'd end up just staring at palo verdes...lol

Coues deer have a very small home range compared to muleys, I think its probably his home range. He could be drifting if its a low deer density area, but it wouldn't be my first guess. The areas I hunt in the winter I usually see the same bucks I saw an got on trailcam during the summer. In fact theres a couple bucks ive seen several years in a row. This is a middle of the road spot as far as deer density. Enough to hunt, but its not exactly overrun by them.

• Like 1

As mentioned above hard to say without more knowledge on the particular deer. Some Coues deer rut close to their "home" range. Others have been documented moving upwards of 4 to 5 miles to find hot does. Lots and lots of variables. Usually pretty dependent on doe densities. Obviously if there's a lot of does the bucks don't have to move very far to check them and opposite in the other scenario.

I have been haunted by a couple different bucks I have seen during the rut that I have never been able to turn up again. Good luck!!!

So in an area that has normal densities of coues deer one buck might not travel as far looking for love. But in my area that isn't known for having a lot of coues deer I wonder if he was following those muleys for a reason? Either way I'm intrigued

So in an area that has normal densities of coues deer one buck might not travel as far looking for love. But in my area that isn't known for having a lot of coues deer I wonder if he was following those muleys for a reason? Either way I'm intrigued

ive glassed up a few coues Bucks running with Muley does in middle of January . Me personally I think Muley does let WT bucks breed them but WT doe don't let Muley. That my two cent! I only see WT with Muley doe in January.

Some critters are just lonely too and will herd up with anyone that will tolerate them. I dont remember who, but theres a member on this forum that had a bunch of pics of a little muley buck and a young antelope buck roaming around together a few years ago.