Sign in to follow this  
AZ_Native

Rage 3-blade broadhead SUCK!?!?!

I know there are several topics on broadheads, but I wanted to start one specific to the Rage 3-blade broadheads. I have lost an elk and a very nice white tail within two months of each other, and both seem to have the same issue. Minimal penetration and lack of damage. The latest incident was on a nice white tail last weekend at 63 years. Very solid blood trail, but I noticed the arrow stick sticking out of him as he bolted off. Followed the blood trail a couple hundred yards for a couple hours until it got dark. Went out again first light and found the trail where we left off. Followed it for another 200 yards and then it ended. We looked for hours on end and no deer. Very frustrating considering it was such a good white tail. The bull elk was a 47 yard shot. Big heavy body and I put it right behind the shoulder. We never found any blood and never found the elk. I watch the arrow sticking out the side of him as well as be ran off. This just seems unacceptable to me. Are these just preventing penetration due to bad mechanical issues? Even if I hit some bone on the deer it still should have gone thru. We found the arrow from him and it appeared to only get 3" at most, if even that. And that shot was not too far forward. I'm shooting 280 fps. I'm thinking it's time for a newer bow and to throw those Rage broadheads in the garbage.

I'm not a fan of mechanical broad heads but I've had great luck with Rage 3 blades. I've killed 3 or 4 elk with them. One was shot at 70 yards with a 50 pound bow. The broad head still penetrated through the lower chest and into the "armpit" on the other side. I shot an antelope and a couple of javelina with them. I've never lost an animal since using those. Still the best broad heads I've ever shot are my traditional Wensel Woodsman I shoot out of my longbow. Everything I've ever shot with them has died in a short distance. They make a wound channel like a shotgun slug. I shoot about 180 fps with that bow and 540 g arrows.

Interesting Gila Monster. I am discounting my Javelina that I killed with them because they are such small creatures. I am just baffled with the deer. At least on the elk I can consider that I shot too far forward and struck bone. The previous year I had a gut shot and got the liver on a spike. Arrow had gone all the way thru. He went 50 yards and just laid down and died 40 min later. I was able to watch him the whole time on flatter terrain. I have heard multiple times now that the Rages have an issue opening properly. Even some of the reservations and some of the guides won't allow them now. Too many wounded animals never recovered. Part of the discussion as been that fixed blades will penetrate better on bone, or glancing off bones. Mechanicals can some how have a tendency to fail to expand correctly when encountering bone and therefor not penetrate much in some instances. Well, those are some of the reasons I hear. Either way, I'm extremely bummed to loose two animals in as many months. Granted the elk was just a basic 5x5, but he was heavy bodied. That would have been an enormous amount of meat. The deer was an absolute trophy though. Tons of meat and a nice rack (I'm not really a rack hunter though). I just don't want to lose another animal. I'm no sharp shooter with the bow, but I'm also not too shabby. I have good groups at 45 and 60 yards. Have I mentioned it's a bummer to lose two animals in two months!?!?

The other thing you might consider is there are counterfeit Rage broad heads out there. Not just Rage but other broad heads are being faked, so you might have gotten some and from what I understand is the blade material is substandard and will break off so you get little penetration. It is really hard to tell as the packaging looks exactly like the true legit broad heads.

I had never heard that Red. I believe I bought the two packs that I have owned at Bass Pro. It's not like counterfeit could not have found their way in to Bass Pro, but I want to hope that is not the case. They sure do fly straight. That was the reason I knocked it on the elk in November. I felt comfortable with the fixed blades at 45 yards, but I started my stalk at 140. I didn't know if I was going to get closer than 60 yards on the elk. It just happened really quick and it ended up being 47 yards. I did the same thing on the deer last week. Had both broadheads in the quiver and talked myself in to using the Rage even though I got to him bedded down and ranged him at 47 yards. The deer got up when I wasn't watching and ended up giving me a 63 yards shot. I think it's time for me to go to a brand new bow and get the 320+ fps, easier pull and hold, and tune it to fixed blades. I think it will result in more accurate shots. I still have my Javi hunt so I'll carry both broadheads, but that's only because Javelina are the only animals I've seen the Rage work on.

I have taken elk, bear, coues, turkey and muley with a three blade rage the blood trails were very significant. The issue I have with them is they are high maintenance. They often opened in my quiver

I have lost a turkey and the biggest whitetail of my career (found him two weeks later) as well as a double lunged bull elk that went 1 mile and required 4 follow up shots with rage 3 blades. I can't put my finger on why, they just didn't die quickly?!? I switched to the 2 blades and have had nothing but good luck. Weird I know and totally anecdotal evidence, but that was enough for me to switch.

I'm at at a loss trying to figure out what people are talking about when it comes to the 2 blade rage. I was turned on to these after seeing the most amazing blood trails that blind men could follow. When animals are lost, chances are IMO, that the hunter is probably not %100 sure of placement and penetration. Bottom line, animals survival instinct is amazing and they WILL go as far as they can if possible. Any broadhead can result in a lost animal. My take on this is a lot of time you are dealing with an entrance hole only, with that being said, I would prefer the largest hole and wound channel available. I've personally taken or seen taken well over 20 animals shot with rage 2" or 2.3" and the entrance holes are insane and normally I get pass throughs. Never seen a "failure" yet that I know of. I've seen bad shot placement but not failure to open? Also, I think people need to pay more attention to KE, lots of guys using very lightweight set ups and I wonder if they would do better with heavier set ups. Good luck to all, and here's to short bloods trails everytime, all the time!

• Like 2

I'm at at a loss trying to figure out what people are talking about when it comes to the 2 blade rage. I was turned on to these after seeing the most amazing blood trails that blind men could follow. When animals are lost, chances are IMO, that the hunter is probably not %100 sure of placement and penetration. Bottom line, animals survival instinct is amazing and they WILL go as far as they can if possible. Any broadhead can result in a lost animal. My take on this is a lot of time you are dealing with an entrance hole only, with that being said, I would prefer the largest hole and wound channel available. I've personally taken or seen taken well over 20 animals shot with rage 2" or 2.3" and the entrance holes are insane and normally I get pass throughs. Never seen a "failure" yet that I know of. I've seen bad shot placement but not failure to open? Also, I think people need to pay more attention to KE, lots of guys using very lightweight set ups and I wonder if they would do better with heavier set ups. Good luck to all, and here's to short bloods trails everytime, all the time!

+1 IT is impossible for them NOT to open, by design. As far as broken blades, in my opinion if a blade hits something so hard it's going to break it, it's also gonna slow the arrow so much your penetration is gone, so I'd prefer that blade break off to save the penetration. A non broken blade that stops at the shoulder is much less effective then a one bladed arrow that makes the vitals in my opinion.
  • Like 1

Ive lost two animals, both to fixed blade heads. After the second, I switched to mechanicals. I figure that everyone makes a marginal hit once in a while, so if your shot is not perfect the bigger hole you can make the better. I've only hit three animals with mechanicals so far and all have left great blood trails, two dropping within sight.

Ive never used rages but i know that dang near any head will blow right through ribs and lungs, so if animals are being lost it probably shot placement more so than the quality of the head.

• Like 3

I had never heard that Red. I believe I bought the two packs that I have owned at Bass Pro. It's not like counterfeit could not have found their way in to Bass Pro, but I want to hope that is not the case. They sure do fly straight. That was the reason I knocked it on the elk in November. I felt comfortable with the fixed blades at 45 yards, but I started my stalk at 140. I didn't know if I was going to get closer than 60 yards on the elk. It just happened really quick and it ended up being 47 yards. I did the same thing on the deer last week. Had both broadheads in the quiver and talked myself in to using the Rage even though I got to him bedded down and ranged him at 47 yards. The deer got up when I wasn't watching and ended up giving me a 63 yards shot. I think it's time for me to go to a brand new bow and get the 320+ fps, easier pull and hold, and tune it to fixed blades. I think it will result in more accurate shots. I still have my Javi hunt so I'll carry both broadheads, but that's only because Javelina are the only animals I've seen the Rage work on.

You probably have the original heads. The knock offs are being sold online for way less so trying to save some $$$ you have a higher chance of getting a knock off. From what I understand is Rage has a sticker inside that the knockoffs don't. Also the blades seem subpar with nicks and not sharp right out of the package. This is also happening with Monetecs or Muzzy's, I can't remember which. Go to AT and you can read all about it.