Sign in to follow this  
AZ_Native

Rage 3-blade broadhead SUCK!?!?!

In Gritty Bowmans latest podcast # 80, they also discuss mechanical vs fixed. Cameron Hanes has the opposite view on mechanical's.

But, he did say that he is going to try Bloodsports this year, I'm guessing he will use the Grave Diggers. He said that his perception of mechanicals is from the older ones, not the newer ones which I think have come a long way in the past few years.

Mechanicals have come a long way over the years, some way better than others, and IMO so has education in choosing arrow weights and FOC when using them. The OP never answered the question I asked on his arrow weight. I suspect he is shooting a light weight arrow for the speed factor and his penetration stinks because he has no momentum leftover to get the job done. Fast bows or a faster bow isnt going to help his cause. If he did his job and looked the Rage head over before the shot to be sure the blades are locked in place then it's not the Rage at fault either. Although I do have one slight theory of maybe one blade rotating at the hit rather than deploying as designed but it's probably a 1 in a million.

Im not saying I think there isn't a place for speed but if a person is going for speed with light arrow set ups they should stay with fixed COC BH so that the head doesn't dissipate the energy in the arrow.

Mechanicals have come a long way over the years, some way better than others, and IMO so has education in choosing arrow weights and FOC when using them. The OP never answered the question I asked on his arrow weight. I suspect he is shooting a light weight arrow for the speed factor and his penetration stinks because he has no momentum leftover to get the job done. Fast bows or a faster bow isnt going to help his cause. If he did his job and looked the Rage head over before the shot to be sure the blades are locked in place then it's not the Rage at fault either. Although I do have one slight theory of maybe one blade rotating at the hit rather than deploying as designed but it's probably a 1 in a million.

Im not saying I think there isn't a place for speed but if a person is going for speed with light arrow set ups they should stay with fixed COC BH so that the head doesn't dissipate the energy in the arrow.

the fellows in the gritty podcast begged to differ, to a degree.

I'm the guy that went for a crazy fast setup. i'm shooting a 7.9 gpi with a 100 grain head ulmer edge. I just completely broke a deer's shoulder and still got a pass-thru.

i think the reason why i (and they) are going with expandables is because of tunability issues at high speeds. With the now extinct ulmer edge, i really didn't have to tune my broadheads. But with fixed blades, tuning was a massive issue. As i've been advised, fixed blades don't tune well over 300 fps.

i think i remember snyder saying he shot an 85 pound bow, with a 500 grain arrow, so no kinetic energy issues there, but the consensus was that a lot of the reason why guys get such good penetration with expandables at high speeds is because of the quality of arrow flight, and the arrows ability to recover much more quickly than than an arrow shot with fixed blades, thus putting the kinetic energy of the expandable in the right place. That way an expandable has more potential for penetration.

it seems they agreed that a slower bow may perform petter with fixed blades, because tuning issues are not such a problem, and because there is not as much loss of KE from a broadhead opening.

it seems to make sense to me.

also, gillingham threw doubted traditional FOC numbers in this video. Something i was surprised to see. But many consider him to be the best bowshot in the world.

bojangles, I guess maybe I should have said any large cutting Mechanical. Ulmers Edge is not one of them. I only shoot a MBH for the big holes they make so I shoot 2 inch or better. The Ulmers Edges blades by design also swivels around bone. If you dont mind my asking, how many yards were you from your deer and what species, Coue's?

Fixed blades can and do tune well out of 300 plus set ups.It takes more time and its not as forgiving (your form needs to be good) but it is still be done by the majority of new 300 plus fps bow shooters everyday.

A heavier arrow with 15% or more FOC out of your bow with the same BH will out penetrate your set up. Bow tuning, FOC and proper arrow spine are the reasons arrows correct quicker. Not the BH, if its BH then something is out of tune. If your just going to shoot little deer at short yardages then you have a good set up. It doesn't sound like your hunting elk so i doubt you will ever have an issue.

bojangles, I guess maybe I should have said any large cutting Mechanical. Ulmers Edge is not one of them. I only shoot a MBH for the big holes they make so I shoot 2 inch or better. The Ulmers Edges blades by design also swivels around bone. If you dont mind my asking, how many yards were you from your deer and what species, Coue's?

Fixed blades can and do tune well out of 300 plus set ups.It takes more time and its not as forgiving (your form needs to be good) but it is still be done by the majority of new 300 plus fps bow shooters everyday.

A heavier arrow with 15% or more FOC out of your bow with the same BH will out penetrate your set up. Bow tuning, FOC and proper arrow spine are the reasons arrows correct quicker. Not the BH, if its BH then something is out of tune. If your just going to shoot little deer at short yardages then you have a good set up. It doesn't sound like your hunting elk so i doubt you will ever have an issue.

It was a coues, @ 35 yards. Im not arguing with you necessarily, but you gotta listen to Gillingham in that podcast. He's challenged conventional thought quite successfully on all things archery. Ive learned more in that podcast than from any other single source about archery. As mentioned above, episode 80 has Hanes differing from the aforementioned conclusion, and is well worth listening to as well.

Hunt hard, shoot well.

Best of luck this fall.

I've only killed one animal with rage 3 blade, and it was my first and only archery javelina. This thing bled like I've never seen before! But, it also lived 45 minutes or more! It also took two, if not three arrows before it expired.

One more thing, I'm a fixed guy. I shoot a modest speed bow. If I recall correctly, 480 grains at 275 fps. One less thing to worry about. My set up with slick trick magnums absolutely knocked my 2014 bulls peeped in the dirt!