Sign in to follow this  
trophymaster

Hunting Mexico

I have an oppurtunity to go to Mexico in January to hunt coues on a desert ranch self guided. For those of you that have experienced it what are your general thoughts (is it worth the price, trophy potential, realistic expectations etc.)

I don't have unlimited amounts of money so I want to make the best of it.

Thanks for your time

Self guided hunts can be good and bad, the thing you have to worry about is getting a ranch that has been shot out. people love to tell you there are lots of quality and the ranches have not had much pressure. Thats an often heard quote down there, but dont get me wrong it can be a great experience. I took a 117 buck down there last year on a self guided hunt. Best thing to do is go on a reccomendation from someone. Good luck, and make sure you have all your paper work and someone liscensed to bring back your hide and meat.

I am going myself in January to Sonora. I think if you check your references and get all your paperwork right it can be good. You are allowed to import your own hide and horns if you follow all the rules.

Keven

You didn't mention how much, but I would say yes.... If you are a good Coues hunter here on public land, and they help you get there, and feed you...... It would be the only way that I would do it. Good luck. :)

The cost of the hunt is $3,000.00. That includes all permits, getting assitance crossing the border, and lodging. It does not include food, transportation, or a cook.

Thanks

The cost of the hunt is $3,000.00. That includes all permits, getting assitance crossing the border, and lodging. It does not include food, transportation, or a cook.

Thanks

That is not bad.... I have seen some self-guided hunts available between $2500- $3500. I would make sure that you are hunting a good ranch, not one that is all shot out. A friend of mine went on a deal like that last year and he shot a 120"+ Non-typ. and the guy he took with him shot a mid 90" buck with lots of character. Go for it! Best of luck!

Just by way of comparison I pay $3,500 for a fully guided hunt down there. That includes all my food, and a guide. A lot of people say they don't "need" a guide and I totaly agree. It's not necessary! However for an extra $500 to have all your meals prepared and an extra set of eyes when glassing it's money well spent.

Just by way of comparison I pay $3,500 for a fully guided hunt down there. That includes all my food, and a guide. A lot of people say they don't "need" a guide and I totaly agree. It's not necessary! However for an extra $500 to have all your meals prepared and an extra set of eyes when glassing it's money well spent.

Agreed. Most often the "guide" is just a ranch cowboy with some low end glass (that he uses surprisingly well) that just knows his way around the ranch. They aren't usually good "trophy hunters". However, coming back to camp to a warm meal, and not having to worry about cooking for yourself after a long day, is priceless. As far as the 3K goes, it could be a steal, or it could be a rip-off. It just depends on the ranch. There's alot of politics in getting leases on ranches, and many times ranchers/outfitters will only tell you what you want to hear. I can't tell you how many times a rancher or outfitter has told me "Oh my ranch hasn't been hunted in 6 years" and then a cowboy will take us in an area and tell us "Last year a guy killed a good buck in this spot." Stuff like that. I've seen ranches going from a 120" average to killing 100" buck if you're lucky in just a few years because they'll sneak guys on or re-use tags that people don't fill. Finding an outfitter you can trust is the key. Try and find out as much as you can about the ranch's history, and what kind of bucks have been killed in the past. While the trophy potential is there in most areas, i've gone to ranches and seen 1 buck in 3 days, and every cowboy had a scabbard on his horse (empty at the time :rolleyes: ) Of course, I've gotten very lucky too. Anyhow, hope that helped some, and good luck.

Again just to clarify, the outfitter I use has American guides with German glass. These guys aren't just mexican cowboys.

Don't worry Tommy, you and Jason can decide for yourselves which way is better come January!!!! Last year on the first day of our hunt my guide and I went out first thing with the rancher to have him show us the area. At one point we got out of the truck to glass a hillside just off the road. We glassed for a minute until the rancher motioned for us to move up and glass from a point about 100 yards further up the road. I grabbed my tripod and went to where he motioned me to go. I sat down and within two minutes had a bruiser double main beamed buck at about 600 yards away! Never did close the deal, but that's why I'm going back in January! That rancher was real good at spotting with his naked eyes. I'll bet if you put him behind some german glass he'd be incredible!!!!

Thanks for the replies. What I have found out is only 1 deer was shot on the ranch last year a 118" buck. There are four tags and we are to be the only hunters on the ranch for the year. It sounds like price wise it is about the going rate, but not a smoking deal. I think the trophy potential is there because the ranch next door they killed three bucks last year over 115" and they did kill the one buck that was 118" on the ranch we are to hunt. TAM if you don't mind what outfitter do you hunt with, if you want you can PM me or e-mail. Thanks

Self-guided is a neat way to hunt Mexico. I am hoping to do it that way this year.

And just a reminder, we have several reputable outfitters that are sponsors on this site and offer some great hunting down in Mexico. Don't forget to check them out when you are considering a hunt down there.

To see a list of sponsors, go to the main www.coueswhitetail.com page and look on either the left or right hand margin of the page. Visit their websites and take a look at the bucks they have harvested. Some pretty amazing bucks!

I hope you have a great hunt Trophymaster!

Amanda

Cola Blanca