Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

6.5 CM barrel length

Looking at purchasing a 6.5 creedmoor rifle this spring. Mainly for deer but also possibly as an elk rifle for my daughter.

The three that have my attention currently are the Savage111 light wieght Hunter, the ruger American predator and the weatherby vanguard. Barrel lengths on these three vary from 20" (sav) 22" (rug) and 24" (wby).

Does barrel length matter greatly on typical hunting shot?

20 seems a little short to get the most performance potential. If I were building one, 24" would be the shortest I would consider with 26 preferred. But that comes with added weight so if your daughter is going to be carrying it she might appreciate a 20 or 22.

24" or 26" for me as well. Look at the lady hunter for a light weight rifle option and a 22" barrel. I just finished putting together a savage built on a lady hunter stock with a 24" barrel and topped it off with a Leupold VX2 6-18x40 and the whole thing weighs right at 8 pounds sling included. She loves it, and with the shorter length of pull and higher comb it fits her perfectly.

An extra 4" of barrel length will net you 100-150fps. Meaning more energy on target. Never a bad thing. I would go with a 22" barrel minimum myself, with the preference of 24-26".