rancilio

Taking a silencer on a SA hunt

I have a friend heading to hunt in SA in a few months. He thinks he has worked out getting his rifle there and back, but wants to know about taking his silencer on the hunt. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about taking a silencer to South Africa, and getting it back to the US? Thanks.

By all means have him check out what's needed in South Africa (it probably will be minimal -- more hunters use suppressors down there than here), but I'd also suggest that his Homeland Security Form 4457 (Certificate of Registration for Personal Effects Taken Abroad) show he left the U.S. with it.

If it doesn't have a serial number, which it probably doesn't, he could list it like this: "7mm Rem. Mag. Remington 700 serial no. xxxxx with suppressor."

I suggest using "suppressor" instead of "silencer" on the form to avoid hassles when returning. A few of the people safeguarding our border are not the brightest and best.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Thanks for the info so far. Somebody else told me that many SA guides supply their hunters with suppressors. My buddy is checking with the guide as what their policies are. More to follow. Thanks.

• Like 1