Sign in to follow this  
azshtr

Mounting a scope

I'm in need of advice or a point in the right direction. I have a Savage 110 270 and just bought a used Leupold VXII scope to mount on it. I purchased a set of Nikon mounts and rings but the scope is about 1/4 inch to short to fit (meaning the 1" barrel is not long enough by 1/4 inch). The mounts are not adjustable. The mounts are 5 1/2 inch apart center to center. I don't know that much about my options and don't see any help or info on the web. The weaver style mounts that came with the rifle leave a lot to be desired but did mount closer together than the Nikons.

It seems that A) This scope is shorter than others. I don't see any specs on any scope listing the 1" barrel length.

Or B) I need mounts that are not centered over the screw holes but rather sit closer together.

Or C) I need a gun smith to mount this.

I don't want to by a new scope. I don't see any rings that would be different.

Any smart person can jump in with advice... well you all can jump in anyways :P

Thanks

I'm in need of advice or a point in the right direction. I have a Savage 110 270 and just bought a used Leupold VXII scope to mount on it. I purchased a set of Nikon mounts and rings but the scope is about 1/4 inch to short to fit (meaning the 1" barrel is not long enough by 1/4 inch). The mounts are not adjustable. The mounts are 5 1/2 inch apart center to center. I don't know that much about my options and don't see any help or info on the web. The weaver style mounts that came with the rifle leave a lot to be desired but did mount closer together than the Nikons.

It seems that A) This scope is shorter than others. I don't see any specs on any scope listing the 1" barrel length.

Or B) I need mounts that are not centered over the screw holes but rather sit closer together.

Or C) I need a gun smith to mount this.

I don't want to by a new scope. I don't see any rings that would be different.

Any smart person can jump in with advice... well you all can jump in anyways :P

Thanks

If the ring slot in one of the bases is closer to one end than the other, try reversing it on the rifle to shorten the distance. Just be sure the bottom curvature fits the receiver the same way. If that doesn't work, return the Nikon stuff and get the Leupold bases/rings. If you can't find them, call Leupold. Give them your scope and gun models and have them ship you the rings/mounts that will work. -TONY

Are they one or 2 piece mounts? If they are 2 piece by a one piece and that should fix your problem.

coues7

I searched high and low and didn't find that mount selector site. Thanks for the help.

I searched high and low and didn't find that mount selector site. Thanks for the help.

One other thing you might check is the WIDTH of the rings from front to back, not side to side. The Nikon ones might be wider, thus giving you less adjustable distance from front to back. -TONY

azshtr,

I pulled this image up from the thread I have in Other Big Game. If you look closely at my rifle, you'll see the front base overhangs the bolt area because I had the same problem you had encountered. Also, note how the rear base has the thicker area to the rear, as well. The ring slots in both bases were offset, so either one was reversible. And these were Leupold bases and rings used with a Leupold scope! I chose to reverse the front one because that interfered less when filling the magazine and most importantly, if I had reversed the rear base, the eye relief would have been too much because the scope would have been too far forward.

impala1.jpg

azshtr,

I pulled this image up from the thread I have in Other Big Game. If you look closely at my rifle, you'll see the front base overhangs the bolt area because I had the same problem you had encountered. Also, note how the rear base has the thicker area to the rear, as well. The ring slots in both bases were offset, so either one was reversible. And these were Leupold bases and rings used with a Leupold scope! I chose to reverse the front one because that interfered less when filling the magazine and most importantly, if I had reversed the rear base, the eye relief would have been too much because the scope would have been too far forward.

Thats what I need. I emailed Leupold and have not heard back yet. Thanks for all the help.

Maybe try some Weaver rings and mounts!

Never liked weaver mounts. I used the Leupold one piece base and it fits fine. Thanks for all the help.

Maybe try some Weaver rings and mounts!

Never liked weaver mounts. I used the Leupold one piece base and it fits fine. Thanks for all the help.

Glad you got it all worked out! Now kill something. ;) -TONY