Sign in to follow this  
KingJeff187

JR's elk hunt in 22. Late rut activity?

So My daughter and nephew drew JR's cow tags in unit 22. Last year i got my buddy and his wife tagged out on the early rifle cow hunt in unit 10 last . The herd they harvested Their cows out of still had vocal bulls in it and this was the 2nd and 3rd week of October last year. My question being, since unit 22 is a little lower elevation could the elk in 22 still be semi rutting for the JR's hunt if the weather stays warmer like it did last year? I think it would be awesome if i could at the very least curiosity call a cow in for my daughter. Any thoughts or experience with this would be great. I have spent plenty of time in 22 but never actually hunted it for elk.

post-14400-0-24222400-1460656735_thumb.jpg

post-14400-0-81616600-1460656756_thumb.png

• Like 1

Great hunt my boy had it last year. Called bulls early morning. They will still be active. He tagged out on the third day. Had some great help from guys on here.

• Like 1

Yes, they will be still rutting. That's a fantastic hunt!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Now I'm more excited for her cow hunt then I am my late rifle bull hunt. I love calling elk.

My buddy's kids tagged out during the same hunt within five minutes of one another. It was a long day but wasn't too hard to find the cows. PM if you want any ideas.

• Like 1

Nice, I just found out about 10 minutes ago that my son also drew the 22 Jr. Cow hunt. Congrats. I've never hunted that unit. I've always been on top of the rim in 4A. Maybe we can hook up and do some scouting? I need to start doing my home work and get familiar with that area. Oct. 7th will be here just before you know it.

Thanks,

JD

My buddy's kids tagged out during the same hunt within five minutes of one another. It was a long day but wasn't too hard to find the cows. PM if you want any ideas.

Thanks. I'm pretty familiar with the area from deer hunting it. But if I run into any hang ups I might have to take you up on that

Nice, I just found out about 10 minutes ago that my son also drew the 22 Jr. Cow hunt. Congrats. I've never hunted that unit. I've always been on top of the rim in 4A. Maybe we can hook up and do some scouting? I need to start doing my home work and get familiar with that area. Oct. 7th will be here just before you know it.

Thanks,

JD

I'll be heading up a few times before the hunt. But I know the area and elk I'm pretty sure we're going to hunt. My dad has a cabin just north of payson so we'll be hunting in that area.