Sign in to follow this  
Manamal

New Mexico Hunters

Yeah I visit at leat twice a day.

Been chasing Coues with my stick flinger for almost week now. It's been pretty hot and I havn't had any good bucks under my tree. :)

I'll be headed to elk camp in 15 for the second hunt.

Have you been out in NM?

crazyaboutcoues,

Was in unit 23 a few weeks ago scouting for the Nov. 10-14th season. Saw four does and a couple bucks that still had some growing to do. All mulies. Looking for pockets of coues, but will take another nice mulie if the opportunity arises. Scouting NM again after arch. deer here in AZ. Good luck- Good to see action on the NM board again!!!

No crazy, I havent checked out whiterock yet, but I know where it is. I'll probably check it out next time I'm over there- Thanks for the tip. Here in AZ there are alot of places that the coues are the primary deer species in a given area. I have not found that in NM unit 23. I'm assuming they live in isolated pockets of the right habitat. Unit 23 definately has some large antlered mulies, is it the same for the coues?

Hey Crazy, thanks for that picture. What is your opinion about Unit 27? Is that unit over rated for whitetail or is it one of the best in New Mexico. Sorry to butt in on your conversation but I was interested in your topic. Thanks.

Where is White rock? Is it north of Mule creek? My friend and I are hunting 23 in Nov and are starting just North of Alma, maybe camping at pueblo park.

Great photo, crazy. That is a very nice buck. Talking to Duwane Adams on the telephone (last night), he was telling me that I would be lucky to even see a coues deer, simply cause I've never done my hunting with binocs in wide open country. Here in Oklahoma, it's pretty much a 50-75 yard MAX opportunity,(unless you caught one crossing an open field or something).

I was there in 23 and 16 in '99 on a bear hunt , and saw tons of mulies and even more elk. This was the first 5 days of November and we saw bucks running together. I'm assuming they havent started to rut at this time..?.

Good luck this year to all. Shiras

They will not be rutted. You will see deer if you do not mind sacrificing body and time busting your hump into areas away from roads. The country is green right now, the water situation is fine and the horn growth looks good this year. 23 should be a good but rough hunt, I know I am going to try to make it there this year. That buck up there was like the 4th or 5th biggest deer we saw of the hunt but the only one we could connect on due to the topography and our poor shooting. I am not saying I am in great shape but the guys I hunt with are and the country is big enough that seeing good deer and connecting on good deer are two completley different things over there. You can never be in good enough shape to cross some of those canyons over there. There is a certain amount of questioning that goes on over there daily that sounds like "Well how bad do I want that 95 inch deer and should I commit a good 4-5 hours in crossing this canyon so I can shoot him tonight?" Also, "If I kill him tonight and hang him in a tree will he even be there tomorrow or will the lions, tigers, coyotes, alligators and bears drag him away in the night?" And "If I kill that buck at dark, how many times will I fall down and crack my head and bust all my gear up rolling down this cliff on the 4 hour hike back to the truck tonight?" There is country that would make a bighorn sheep cry over there. If you see a gold and brown Toyota Tacoma then turn around and go the other direction because wherever it is parked is a bad place to hunt. ;)

Bret M.

Bull,

Geeez you make 23 sound like literal heck. All I've seen of it is on the dirt roads- driving to see if the dogs could scent a bear in '99.

Are parts of it really THAT bad? Why is 23 worse than any unit in Az? I AM going to hike AWAY from the lazy SOB's that road hunt, but my goodness,- 4-5 hours to get to a spotted deer?????/?? Man, I hope you are exagerating just a hair. If not, oh well.

I'll be sure to avoid that Toyota at all costs, sounds like he knows absolutely nothing about coues-only spotting 4 or 5 95" Whitetail. Geez, I wouldn't settle for anything less than 110. lol

By the way Bull, IF you did take a 95 why would you leave it? Too far to pack out? Wouldnt you at least take the cape and head? - I would definately, just wondering what you do/ or would do in that situation. If i shot a 95 I would probably sleep right there with him.lol -Shiras

The coues that live there live in real abysses of canyons for the most part. As far as worse than AZ? Yes, heck yes, I can always go find a 65-80 inch deer in a relatively flat catclaw or ocotillo patch here in AZ. That crap does not happen in NM regularly. I am not embellishing on the amount of time it can take to cross one of those unit 23 canyons. I won't kill a deer unless I think that deer scores 100 or more, I hunt with real maniacs though. And, thats just me. If you are from back East I would hunt them up in the pines, and camp at Pueblo Park this year. You have as good as chance as any up there. Good luck..

Bret M.

Wow bullwidgeon, what a buck!!! I also agree that there are some big, steep unforgiving canyons in NM that will kick your butt if youre not prepared. But ya know what, thats where the big guys live so its worth the effort. Can't wait to go check out Whiterock. Seen any bears up that way?

27 is an awesome unit! The only thing is the wind blows most of the time, but other than that is really is a quality trophy hunt! My cousin Eric Kern guides some places there when he isn't in Alaska guiding and you should see the footage he has of some muledeer and couesdeer! There are some monsters!!!