Pac8541

Arrow speed and long range shooting

285 fps or below for maximizing arrow flight, buy the archers advantage online program to play with setups and kentic energy. There is way more involved such as foc, spine stiffness ext, at 60+ yards you really start to notice the arrow flight,

Been crunching numbers on AA and OT2 for several years now, I am thankfully way past that point now. Those programs are great but they cause me to become overly obsessed with some of the details.

I always shot big fat heavy arrows when we all used aluminum. My friends were speed freaks shooting over draws and when carbon became the norm many of them had penetration issues. I have since settled on a benchmark of needing to achieve 300 fps with a 400-410 gr arrow. This combo has worked well for me.

While I can't speak directly to your exact question, I would be hesitant on longer shots with slower arrows for no other reason than time of flight. No doubt your heavy arrows will achieve lots of penetration but my concern would be if the intended target (vitals) will still be in the same place when the slower arrow arrives. Even a quiet bow is no match for the ears of a half way alert deer. I haven't had as much experience with the abilities arrow dodging elk.

Like anything else, I would say shoot what works for you and you are comfortable with.

Time of flight is something I hadn't considered, thanks for bringing that up. That is important to keep in mind, even if I don't realistically expect to be shooting at something beyond maybe 50yds. The area I was in last Nov, which is the same area I'll be in this year, didn't give me much beyond 40. My shoulder is just now allowing me to start shooting again. Once I get a little more stability out of it I'll just experiment at my local park. I've probably built 6 different arrows to test and swap points between.

I'm no "technical" number cruncher. so for what its worth, I shoot an older DXT i shoot 400 spline arrows with 100 grain gravedigger broadheads. I shot My mule deer in 2014 at 76 yards (arrow was 20 yards past the buck in the top of a tree. Last year I shot my coues buck ay 60 yards (again full pass through). Both deer expired within 40-50 yards of where the first shot took place. I practice out to 100 yards pretty regular. Honestly i feel that practicing out to that range makes me a lot better archer inside of 70 yards. As the more common shots feel much closer and my confidence level is much higher taking those shots. Bottom line confidence is King. The ability to know and feel confident that you will hit what your shooting at at those distances helps to eliminate mistakes while taking the shot when it presents itself. And as far as string jump, if a buck is dialed in on you when you shoot they will jump the string,it has happened to me on bucks inside 50 yards way more than it has happened to me with bucks outside of 60-70 yards. bottom line if they are watching when you shoot they can always jump the string no matter what the distance is. Just my 2 cents.

Good info, I agree completely. This is the reason I want to shoot longer range and not because I intend to shoot meat as soon as he comes out of the trees. I'm getting it dialed in slowly: I have 2 arrows I've settled on, one at 460 and the other at just over 600. Both fly well and are quiet. I need to fletch the rest up and start tuning them.

• Like 1

This thread has been interesting and informative. I came across a decent article delving into a bit of this. I enjoyed the math and physics behind the experiment. Hope you enjoy as well.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://archeryreport.com/2011/01/heavy-vs-light-arrows-speed-power/&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwj85cvByIzNAhUUW2MKHYURApAQFggbMAA&sig2=AhYXRh2mZN1dK7WYMS1X1A&usg=AFQjCNFVQdrPidpMmchN8Ix8D6QQXaB90A