Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Rocky Point

Anyone gonna be down there next weekend? Thinking about takin the oldest two kids on a morning half day trip but I'd rather learn the ins and outs of shore fishing there. I know how to fish for flatheads but I'm a rookie to ocean fishing so any help is appreciated. My target fish would probably be flounder, bass and triggers. I'm more comfortable fishing off the bottom but don't want to wade way out there if I don't have too. We will probably take the camper to the place right behind wrecked at the reef if that helps at all. Thanks guys.

The one time I fished in Rocky Point we drove past JJ's and fished on the bay side of a long point. We waded out in the water and caught some nice trigger fish and rock bass.

It was a long time ago but I think we bought some squid or octopus and fished with cut pieces on a rig similar to a flathead rig, egg weight/swivel/leader/hook.

My wife almost lost a finger when she tried to lip a trigger fish!

-Curt

Get to the deepest water access you can find on the rocky/south side in between cholla point and competition hill opposite to JJs.

Crush the biggest snails you can find that are stuck to the rocks and cast them out on a small bait hook with a split shot. No float needed but may be nice to have.

Once you catch a small rock bass, cut him into cubes, up the rod, hook and weight size, and cast into the deepest water you can find. You should have a field day with larger rock bass and trigger fish if that's what you're after.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Guest akaspecials

Coues pursuit is on the money. I'm lazier than him though and will typically cast shiny spoons from the shore in that area between JJs and competition hill. After living down there a month or two I had a hard time buying tortillas but never catching enough fish.