Sign in to follow this  
Pac8541

Shelters

I don't like bugs, snakes, scorpions, mice that chew your crap up and rain that could get your stuff wet if you made a mistake setting up, not when you are 10 miles in. I will stay with a tent and take a one proud weight penalty.

I've got a decent 3+ season tent; its a little tight for 2 but has proven itself more than a few times. Only reason I'd like to replace that is for something a little easier to set up. The internal pole design leaves just a bit to be desired. I'm looking at Kuiu's Mountainstar in that respect.

I'm gonna buy the Kifaru Supertarp and give it a go this season. I think it'll be ideal for the backpack fishing trips I take. The next one's in late Sept and at the elevations I find myself at over and over again, bugs aren't an issue. I will likely add a stove before my Nov hunt. It doesn't actually get that cold in the unit I've been fortunate enough to draw the last 2 years but that also makes it an ideal time to shake the system out before using it in something more extreme. I'm willing to risk initial problems with a floorless system if for no other reason, the education and experience. The versatility seems totally worth it.

I have a lightweight one man and a two man tent, but rarely carry either unless the forecast calls for a lot of water. Usually just sleep under a juniper or mesquite tree and have a bivy and a large black trash bag in case it starts coming down.