Sign in to follow this  
kazpilot25

I Hope I Made the Right 10x42 Decision

So I've been looking to buy a new mid-range pair of 10x42 binoculars for archery deer. I've basically been debating between the following 3 binoculars:

Nikon Monarch 7

Sig Sauer Zulu 7

Trijicon HD

I had some reward dollars built up from one of my distributors so I would basically be getting the Nikon for free, Sig for $100, or the Trijicon for $200.

After much research I decided to go with the Sig Sauer Zulu 7 10x42. I only found one video review and 1 written review on this specific pair of binoculars. With the Sig optics line being rather new it's hard to get any first hand reviews. I got the Kilo 2000 range finder from them and am absolutely shocked by the quality of the product. It is on par with the Leica rangefinders for about half the price. I really was leaning toward the Trijicon because of the FL glass, but in the end the warranty of the Sig optics won me over. It's just like the Vortex warranty (no fault lifetime fully transferable). For a mid range bino I think I'll be happy, but we shall see.

I'll update after getting them and testing them out.

It is hard to beat the Monarch 7 with a FOV of 351 ft. Looks like the Sig is at 341 ft, but 9oz heavier. Also hope you never planned to put them on a tripod because it looks like they don't have a threaded port for adapter. That is the reason I got rid of my Monarch X.

I think you would really need to put all three side by side and pick a favorite. Why were the Razors not one of your options? I'd like to see that comparison.

Either way, congrats on kick-a$$ binos and good luck on your hunt. Look forward to your review

It is hard to beat the Monarch 7 with a FOV of 351 ft. Looks like the Sig is at 341 ft, but 9oz heavier. Also hope you never planned to put them on a tripod because it looks like they don't have a threaded port for adapter. That is the reason I got rid of my Monarch X.

I think you would really need to put all three side by side and pick a favorite. Why were the Razors not one of your options? I'd like to see that comparison.

Either way, congrats on kick-a$$ binos and good luck on your hunt. Look forward to your review

I'm not too worried about mounting them on a tripod as I mostly got them for archery and tromping around in the woods, and I have my Swaros for the tripod. I noticed the slightly less (10ft) field of view difference and higher weight, but again, the warranty on the Sig and my experience with some of their other products in the new Electro-Optics lineup sold me over the Nikon.

I didn't consider the Razor because they are a little over twice as much, and Vortex doesn't work through a distributor network. Trust me, the Razors would have been my number one choice.

I looked at the sig Zulu binos the other day at sportsmans. It was an Impressive experience.

Do you remember which model you were looking through? Zulu 3, 5, 7 or 9?

I don't remember what model they were. I think they were priced at just over $400. It was probably the 5's. They were better than any other pair of glass in that same price range that they had in there. We compared everything at that price range, I have a relative that's in the market for some new 10x42s. We didn't look at the nikons though.

I don't remember what model they were. I think they were priced at just over $400. It was probably the 5's. They were better than any other pair of glass in that same price range that they had in there. We compared everything at that price range, I have a relative that's in the market for some new 10x42s. We didn't look at the nikons though.

Ya it must've been the Zulu 5. The Zulu 7 retails around $699.

Now you've got me all excited. They'll be here tomorrow and I'll do a writeup on them when I get them in and test them out.