Sign in to follow this  
AZ Wildcat

Recovery Winch For F350

I've been thinking about adding a recovery winch to my F350 4x4. I've done a bit of research but am looking for a good shop in the Phoenix area that can discuss options with me and sell/install the winch at a fair price. I know about Desert Rat. Anyone have experience with any other shops? Any other winch-related suggestions?

In the east valley maybe Bullet Proof Diesel near Falcon Field or Chris Rollins over at Rowdy Racks who has a shop behind Caswells in Mesa. Also Chris at Desert Rat in Mesa has done some work for me on my F250 too.

He is a good guy and honest.

• Like 1

Warn 12,000lb in a good bumper.

Pick a shop you are comfortable with and who's prices seem fair.

• Like 1

Also, get a couple 30k straps with loop ends. One 30' and one 6-8 foot. Some 3/4" screw pin Shackles or larger too. A snatched block is a good investment.

The 2 biggest tools for offroad recovery are a shovel and high lift jack though. Get a 60" model.

Then if your not familiar with it all learn how to use it all safely. Recovery is dangerous work. Don't under estimate just how quick it can go bad.

• Like 1

Also, remember to stretch your cable before the first real pull. A winch cable needs to have a load put on it to stretch it before you give it heck.

Hook the truck to something real heavy or that it can't pull. Spool out most (not all) of the line and Pull the cable tight and give it some strain but don't go crazy. Spool it in and your done.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the great advice - it will be taken to heart. I've winched before but not often and I'm far from an expert...I appreciate it!