iBowAZ

New rifle...looking for ammo. suggestion

Before I hand loaded I had really good luck with vital shok ammo from federal. I've had their stuff shoot really well in some very picky rifles of different calibers. They offer. 243 rounds loaded with both the nosler partition and ballistic tip. They also offer them loaded with 100 grain Sierra game kings which is usually a very accurate bullet. You may also consider something loaded with the new 90 grain accubond. That should be a good little performer at the distances you want to shoot. See what the nosler trophy grade line has to offer.

• Like 1

I just got a tikka t3x ctr in 6.5 creedmoor and factory hornady eldx 143 precision hunter ammo shoots 1/2 moa 100 yards they all are going through the same hole.

I don't think the eldx ammo is available in .243 or .270.

HSM-- Hands down the most accurate 'factory' ammo I've tried. I haven't shot it in .243 but I have used it in 25-06, 7RM, 7RUM, and 30/06 with outstanding results.

I second the HSM, they have it loaded with 95 grain Berger VLDs. Should hit like a hammer!

Thanks...sounds like I should give these a go.

My concern is bullet performance at lower velocities of .243 and .270 at 500 - 600 yards.

• Like 1

1: Do you have a friend that handloads? He could teach you how and the expense is minimal. Initially the cost to get set up is rather large but most the basic stuff lasts a lifetime. the down side is you always want the latest greatest gadget!

2: Check the long range ballistics of the 243, it sheds energy fast after about 250 (lower BC) I LOVE my 243, no doubt but if I knew or expected longer shots, I'd grab my 7mm or 300 - Higher BC = less drop, greater velocity retention.

As far as factory ammo in the 243, I've had MY best grouping with remingtons but not really done any long range work with those.

Interestingly I spent a month in Europe recently, looked around in some sporting goods shops. In europe, ammo manufacturers market a box of 20 rounds with 5 each of different bullet weights/styles. GREAT idea, allows you to try different weights/styles without purchasing multiple boxes. Wish US ammo manufacturers would take note and follow suite.!

• Like 3