Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

The Rivers Ran East

Just started reading this book, so far so good, I will fill in the rest when I am done, It is an old book so there may be a lot of you that have read it.

Tony I didn't get the first book in the series, I will get the first before I read them.

Tony I didn't get the first book in the series, I will get the first before I read them.

Yeah, you really need to start with the first. That's the one that introduces a main character -- other than Pickett and his family -- that plays roles in the all the subsequent books. His name is Nate Romanowski -- a sorta of loner, hippie type who is into falconry and is a crack shot with a .454 Casull revolver.

Free Fire -- the one I just finished -- was a good read. It takes place in Yellowstone NP, and since I'm very familar with the park, I was able to "fact check it" as the tale unfolded. Box did his research very well with all the place names and descriptions of the major hubs such as the park service's headquarters area in Mammoth and the Old Faithful Inn.

I read this book and have to say it was worth the time. We have learned a lot about the Amazon since it was written and some of the stuff he writes is sort of legend that is taken from the natives, the book describes a journey that was probably one of the last of that type.

Tony I have read the first four C. J. Box books, and I am waiting for the fifth. I have to say I will read them all, they are not the usual good guy wins, bad guy loses books, it just seems to me this guy catches crap no matter what he does.

Tony I have read the first four C. J. Box books, and I am waiting for the fifth. I have to say I will read them all, they are not the usual good guy wins, bad guy loses books, it just seems to me this guy catches crap no matter what he does.

Good show. But have you enjoyed reading them???? -TONY

Very much enjoyed reading them, and would recommend them to anyone, rarely do I find something I don't like, but these stories are well told and intriguing.

Very much enjoyed reading them, and would recommend them to anyone, rarely do I find something I don't like, but these stories are well told and intriguing.

Box has an easy, casual style of writing, so it's not a burdensome read to keep up. He keeps his plots fairly simple too, but as you say, they are intriguing, especially when someone uses taxidermy skills on a human. :blink: -TONY

I really like Louis L'amour books. I've read most all of them and really liked, "The Walking Drum" and "Last of the Breed".

Ok Tony I have read them all, probably should have taken my time so that the next one would be out when I finished with Free Fire.

I have only read a few L'amour books, I will have to read a few more, the same with Zane Grey.

Tony have you read Blue Heaven, that one is now on my list of books to read.

I'm not a big fan of western novels, so I've read maybe only two L'amour books over the years and even that was a very long time ago.

So what's the genre of Blue Heaven? Author? -TONY

I'm not a big fan of western novels, so I've read maybe only two L'amour books over the years and even that was a very long time ago.

So what's the genre of Blue Heaven? Author? -TONY

It is the next C.J. Box book, not one of the Pickett series though.

Keith,

Just visited Box's web site and see where he also has a new Pickett book -- BLOOD TRAIL -- coming out in May 2008! Blue Heaven is set to debut officially on Jan. 8. -TONY