capoeirajosh

Kinetic energy or arrow weight?

I'm have been in this conversation a 100 times. I have an older buddy who swears by heavy arrows and I have another that is speed crazy and wants them light. Either way they seem too balance out that is if you don't go crazy light. Personally I shoot 500+ at a minimum I shot my first elk at 52y with a 400g arrow and had a real bad experience. The elk was quarted away and the arrow slid up 5 ribs before making entry 1/2inch into his heart. He ran for a long ways and it was by the grace of God that I found him. Granted it could have been a Brodhead issue but I have been shooting heavy ever since. For instance I just had a 66y pass through on an Antelope shooting FMJ 11.4 GPI and 100g tip personally I think the lighter arrows lose energy at greater distance I could be dead wrong but I base my logic off from experience and tend to disregard the rest.

I'm have been in this conversation a 100 times. I have an older buddy who swears by heavy arrows and I have another that is speed crazy and wants them light. Either way they seem too balance out that is if you don't go crazy light. Personally I shoot 500+ at a minimum I shot my first elk at 52y with a 400g arrow and had a real bad experience. The elk was quarted away and the arrow slid up 5 ribs before making entry 1/2inch into his heart. He ran for a long ways and it was by the grace of God that I found him. Granted it could have been a Brodhead issue but I have been shooting heavy ever since. For instance I just had a 66y pass through on an Antelope shooting FMJ 11.4 GPI and 100g tip personally I think the lighter arrows lose energy at greater distance I could be dead wrong but I base my logic off from experience and tend to disregard the rest.

IF I did do anything to my setup, that is the exact arrow that I was planning on moving to. The FMJ 11.4 gpi. What is the rest of your bow set up look like? Poundage, speed, arrow length?

I blew through my last bull shooting 390 grain arrow @325fps @ 70 yards. I think anything in the ball park of 400 grns is adequate for elk. I'm shooting 450 grains now and i don't like it. I'd rather have the extra speed. Gonna bump it back down around 400

• Like 1