Sign in to follow this  
GunnerGuy

Late Unit 9 Elk Hunt

Listen to recent Jayscott Podcast with Chris Roe, they kind of have a negative perspective on the direction the unit has been going in general(too many bulls being killed, age class suffering big time) and Chris feels this year wasn't above average.

Big Bulls are still there. Hunt hard. Glass far. Good luck. My dad shot a 330 bull in there 2 years ago on the late hunt

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to draw 9 this year. Toughest archery elk hunt I have ever been on, hardly any rut. I Personally didn't see any big bulls hit the ground, saw one guy with a spike. Without a doubt there are still some great bulls in 9. Saw a few, couldn't seal the deal. Passed a lot of smaller 6 pts. I did hear of some guys killing some bigger bulls, didn't t hear of any whoppers though. Have plan A, B, C, and D for every morning and evening hunt. There will be a ton of guys up there. Every hunter will more than likely have several buddies in camp. On my hunt I watch a guy make a stock on a bull who didn't even have a bow. Be able to get to any part of that unit, the big bulls are where you find them. They have been pushed quite a bit now. Tanks were full when I was there, probably still are. Did start to see bulls that were broke.

Thanks for the advice. I have the late archery tag, tough hunt but happy to have tag in pocket and a chance at a bull. Hunted unit many times in the past with good success just never late archery. Anyone have a preference to East vs west?

Don't know much about the late archery bull hunt specifically, but just finished a successful unit 9 early cow hunt. Saw both bulls and cows every day. Saw a couple of nice bulls Saturday and Sunday that were still with the cows, also heard a little bugling. All of the bulls we saw were in the thick cover. We've hunted both east and west side of the unit and prefer the west in general because there seems to be less people there. Good Luck on your hunt.

• Like 2