Sign in to follow this  
bobbyo

Ball head + Panning atachment.

I am trying to set up a real light tripod, but I am real fussy about how smooth and steady a tripod head is. I was wondering if some people have used a ballhead type head or a ballhead plus a Jim White pan head attachment (very light) and what was their experience like. I don't like pistol grips and my current fluid head is great (does everything I need) it is just a monster that weighs as much as the tripod legs. I would like to try out different set ups, but it seems the internet has killed off the camera store. Any input would be appreciated.

Bob

What fluid head do you have? I just got the Manfrotto 700RC2 which weighs 1.1 lbs. Put it on a Velbon LUXi-F tripod, both from Doug at CameraLand. Whole setup weighs 3lb 2oz. Jim White in Williams set me up with the threaded bushing between the tripod and head.

I have not used a pistol grip and panning attachment.

I too have the 700RC, but on a Bogin 190XB. It's very smooth. Not sure how much it weights, but it's not excessive.

I had a ball head, but I hated it. I did not have the panning attatchment though.

Desert Bull, Red Rabbit,

Thank you. I can't believe I wasted many hours surfing the internet when I could of just asked you guys. The 700rc2 sounds just what I am looking for. This head is both in my weight and price range. Once you try a fluid head you can't go back to any other type. One last question, is this head smooth like butter?

Bob

Red Rabbit I have used the velbon maxi i 387 which I believe is similar to the LUXI-f, but I had stability issues. Which was a shame since the thing was so compact it could fit in my little water bladder backpack. How is the LUXI-f stability with a medium sized pair of binocs.

I'm actually selling this titanium alloy tri-pod on EBAY right now. It's really light and strong, but I just prefer the heavier Bogan tri-pod. It comes with a 3-way pan head and 3 quick plates. It has foam covered upper leg sections. Good for cold mornings or for carrying the tri-pod over your shoulder with your glass attached, when moving only a short distance

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=200156638241

post-331-1190775427.jpg

post-331-1190775582.jpg

Bob,

THe legs on the LUXiF are stiffer than those on the Slik Sprint Pro I had. The legs have 3 positions where they may be angled outward more to give a more stable, wider base.

By stability, do you mean less prone to tipping over? less vibration in the wind? With a light tripod you can combat these problems by angling the legs out, using a rock bag between the legs, or use a heavy tripod with stiff legs, or extending the center post as little as possible.

My first cheap tripods had plastic heads and the head flexed enough you could see the vibration.

cpugsie likes a light carbon fiber tripod, slik pro 713 or 613

The 700RC2 was the lightest fluid head that I noticed from Manfrotto.

I'd actually go with the 390RC2 head....it's what I use and is lighter and smaller than the 700RC2.....just my $0.02

Coues7

Thought maybe I missed a lighter head, but the 390RC2 is listed at 1.6 lbs and the 700RC2 at 1.1 lbs. Both should work well.

Sure do like the smoothness of the fluid heads. My Velbon PH 157Q was getting loose in the handle threads and not as smooth anymore.