Sign in to follow this  
Wrk2Hnt

Threaded barrel/ suppressor question.

Anyone have a .578x28 thread size suppessor or any other muzzle device that size that live's in Chandler or close to? I have a barrel that I'm unsure of thread size so looking for someone that has something they'd be willing to bring by the house and see if it fits. I'd gladly pay you a beer or two. I want to put a brake on a gun but have to figure out if indeed the size I found is correct since it is not factory.

That's why I'm trying to find someone with that size. The info I found for 1 barrel says that's the size they thread it. But I have 3 barrels that use the same brake, 2 are not threaded from the factory. I want to verify it is that size before I buy something permanent for one of the barrels. I figured it's as simple as seeing if something of know size threads on it not. If it work's then I know what it is. If it won't thread on then it's not. No damage done.

That is an odd thread. It does get used to mount suppressors on pistol barrels. It sounds like you have it on a rifle barrel if you are talking about a brake. Do you have a fine thread 1/4 inch bolt? If not any hardware store should. They are a 28 pitch. Lay the threads into the threads on your barrel and see if they fit together like a zipper. Shine a flashlight from the back side to help inspect the fit. If they mate well it is a 28 pitch. I don't suppose you reload and have calipers to measure COAL? If you do use them to measure across the peaks of the thread on the barrel. If you come up with something reasonably close to 0.578 then it is 0.578 - 28. If you are still stuck on trying to figure this out on Friday send me a PM, I have micrometers and thread pitch gauges and could probably help you out over the weekend.

I have calipers, I'll take the barrel to work and try to figure out what I can.I do have 1/4-28 screws at work. I have one rifle barrel and 2 handgun barrels with the same thread. Thanks for the help.

I'm quite a ways away from you, but if you're on the west side of town for any reason you can bring it to my place and I can gage it and tell you exactly what the thread is.