Sign in to follow this  
Tac

have a barrel threaded for supressor?

It Looks like I,m going to have the barrel of my .338 lapua thread changed. I assume they have to cut and rethread the barrel. It currently has 16x1 threads and we will probably go to 5/8 24 and have barrel recrown then I can install a suppresor. What am I missing in my understanding of this operation?

1-16 is a common breech end thread on a barrel. Are you saying you have 1-16 on the muzzle end? To go from a 1" thread to a 5/8 thread they should be able to just turn down the area where the 1 " thread and re cut a 5/8" thread in the same place without cutting the barrel shorter.

1-16 is a common breech end thread on a barrel. Are you saying you have 1-16. On the muzzle end? To go from a 1" thread to a 5/8 thread they should be able to just turn down the area where the 1 " thread and re cut a 5/8" thread in the same place without cutting the barrel shorter.

I think hes got a 16m x 1.0 metric thread which cannot be turned down, its almost the same size (.629"). The thread would have to be cut off rethreaded and recrowned if its a 16m.

• Like 1

1-16 is a common breech end thread on a barrel. Are you saying you have 1-16. On the muzzle end? To go from a 1" thread to a 5/8 thread they should be able to just turn down the area where the 1 " thread and re cut a 5/8" thread in the same place without cutting the barrel shorter.

I think hes got a 16m x 1.0 metric thread which cannot be turned down, its almost the same size (.629"). The thread would have to be cut off rethreaded and recrowned if its a 16m.

I think you are right, there are a number of European manufactured .338 Lapuas. He had it in the right sequence of 16-1, which I thought was an inverted 1-16 instead of 16 x 1.00. I have never had many guns with metric threads so I was biased to SAE. Even when I shot a FN-FAL mine was actually an L1-A1 (inch pattern). Thanks for straightening me out on that one. :huh:

yes metric 16-1.0 I have disassemble and having cut, crowned and threaded to 5/8