Sign in to follow this  
25-06

I NEED SOME HELP

Hey everybody, I have been out scouting alot lately and have'nt seen anything but one spike and a couple of does. My favorite area now has nothing but cattle in it, with vary little vegetation and no sign of deer. My hunt is one month away and Iam starting to stress a bit. I have been on 7 coues hunts and never had any luck, so I hope this year I get one. Anyways Iam going scouting again this weekend and any info would be appreciated. Thank You Terry Lambeth

I would expand your scouting a bit to include some other likely spots in your unit. Don't panic yet! Just try to adjust your location a bit.

Another question (and please don't take offense...) I have to ask is what is your normal tactic for hunting/scouting. If you've been on 7 hunts and have not had success, then you're either hunting in an area with very low deer densities, or you need to change your tactic. Do you glass much? If not, then I suggest you start doing it. Sit on your bottom more, and walk MUCH less. Again, not sure what you do currently so this advise may be mute....

Good luck!

S.

:ph34r:

Stanley, I love to glass and have no problem finding them while they are bedded down, feeding ect. In the past I have seen some nice bucks and missed a few as well, But I am begining to beleive this area is shot out and its time to try another area.

25-06

33 is loaded with deer,you need to glass your but off to find the big ones,find a spot were you can glass all day if you have to before the season opens,if you still can't find a nice buck put on your boots on and go look for fresh sighn.If you dont have a nice amount of sighn in the area your glassing you might want to start looking elsewere.Good luck :ph34r:

Hey man a good area to try is molino basin.I've seen some nice bucks in there but its still pretty thick so glass hard.If you hunt there be sure to pay the five dollar day fee or it could result in much bigger fine.Also try charleou gap but you will need a 4x4 and be willing to walk to a good place in there.I saw 4 really nice bucks a year ago and I'm sure their still there.Good luck and hunt hard.

what my dad and i usually do, and what ill be doing when i hunt a lone, is i/we will walk for about a hour and a half, two hours then sit on a big hill and glass our buts off then if we do find some deer we will watch and see what they do. and if not, we will move to a different spot and repeat.

casey

25-06,

try hunting off of Sutherland trail or Sutherland ridge just east of Oro Valley. The terrain is very rough and to get back in the area where the bruisers are you will need a quad, or one bad $*%$# 4x4. During the archery hunt I saw 2 nice bucks in this area 100" plus.

25-06,

where have you been hunting and scouting??? This unit is a pretty good unit for whitetail!

Arizonabowhunter, I have been scouting around Italian Trap area but this year there are alot of cattle in there and not many deer.

Try up higher in the Catalinas. There are a lot of deer in the burned areas right right now. Go up the backside, through Oracle. Get up into those steep canyons that burned in the last few years, up high on the mountain.

Italian trap is a good area, and the area around Piety Hill and Youtcy Canyon also holds some deer. 2 years ago I hunted this area and only found small bucks but then again it was 2 years ago. A good friend of mine was camped near Youtcy canyon during the 2002 deer season just south of it and harvested a 105" buck. You have to put in hours of scouting in order to harvest a nice buck....

Arizonabowhunter, Youtcy Canyon is where I hunted last year and I seen the same three bucks in the same spot every time I went in there, when my hunt started I had such bad allergies sneezing and my eyes swollen shut that I was not able to get one. I have been in there this year and the cattle have taken over. In the morning I am going to look at some areas around there.Wish me luck.

25-06

Let me know what you see, but where we had luck was right south of Youtcy Spring and just a little to the east, my boy took 3 shots at a 3x3 couple of years ago. Try just southwest of Piety Hill glassed up some deer there by Bull Spring. Good Luck keep me informed.

Bill