Ditto Kevin & Doug.

azonie; There are coues all over 24A. Don't ignore the higher elevations, relatively speaking, just south of the Dripping Springs road. I grew-up in Kearny (on the southern border of the unit) and I know that plenty of locals still exploit those hills for all they're worth. Several nice bucks come-out of there every year. ;)

S.

:)

Here are some old threads on 24a.

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...amp;hl=dripping

I hunted this unit last year in the Dripping Springs area. Quad hunting seems to be the norm and there are a lot of them. They run around in packs (not unusual to see 3 or 4 quads hunting together). And like has been mentioned almost every ridge has a road. There a a few ridges without roads and these would be the place to hunt. Find a high spot and see if the quads spook anything to you. To the west (left) of the Dripping Springs road is a lot of seemingly good WT country but you can't get there because of all the private property.

I tried to go up the road to the Mescal mountains (east of Highway 77) but turned around because you really need a quad to make it up there. If you can camp down low and have a quad then you'll get away from the crowds in the Dripping Springs road.

Most people camp just off the Dripping Springs road anywhere it's not marked private property. You'll start seeing camp sites almost as soon as you get on the Dripping Springs road all the way to Government Springs.

The Pioneer Pass road (about 3.5 miles in) will lead you from the Dripping Springs area to the south base of the Pinals. The road was washed out once you got higher in the Pinals but it wouldn't hurt to drive this road just to familiarize yourself with the unit. If you have a quad you can make it past the washed out area but I couldn't make it in my truck. Not sure if the road has been fixed for this year.

Good luck.

azonie; welcome - nice elk and Coues! What’s the story on the buck?

Well said red rabbit and wetmule - I think you guys speak for most members

azyoung

Dennis, sorry about the negative feedback you received on your first post with us here. There is definitely a ton of guys on this site who would love to help you out..........you may not get their # 1 or even their #4 spots, but they will definitely point you in the right direction! I personnally know nothing about the unit so I'm useless to ya :P

I appreciate the fact you took the time to share your photos with us and also to give us a little background on yourself.....I hope you stay with us and share your photos again! If you would still like for this thread to be removed just send me a PM. Thanks and best of luck to you and your son! JIM>

azonie; welcome - nice elk and Coues! What’s the story on the buck?

Well said red rabbit and wetmule - I think you guys speak for most members

azyoung

That's a Unit 29 buck taken in the Turkey Creek Canyon area about 9 or 10 years ago. I saw another one like that down there last November in a nearby location but never got a good shot opportunity. That's why its called hunting not shooting!

Thanks for your post!

azonie welcome to the site, sorry about the way a few responded to your request. If I knew something about that unit I would help you out, but unfortunately I don't. I don't post alot here but I follow the forum all the time and the info here is very helpful so don't give up on us yet.

Dan

I am hunting this unit also and looking for all the help I can get. Would you mind sharing your information with me? We have scouting the seven mile wash area off of US 60 and only saw mule deer. I'm I wasting my time hunting there?

Thanks.

that is my stomping grounds but i got the 24b this year. if i were you i would try the area known as pipeline. it is past globe on the way to tucson all that area up there is wt country. last year i missed a 3 pointer up there and the 2 years before that i bagged a 2 point each time. also another area worth trying out is going up towards showlow. there is one road up there that is the back way to a place called copper hills i dont know the marker number but i always see both muley and whit on the left side of the road from the main highway. if you go towards showlow there is a ranch just past the fairgrounds, after you pass it start looking off to the left that is prime wt country also. good luck

Thanks everybody for the information. We hunted Friday through Monday and did not get a deer. We did see plenty of them though only 4 bucks and two of them we saw before sunrise driving to a spot off of Seven Mile Wash road (FR 303). After that we didn't see anything out there. So we hit up the old US-60 (FR 585). This seemed to be the best place for us. We saw 2 bucks and 3 doe, but could not get a shot off. That is some thick country! We also hit Pioneer pass and saw 4 doe and a fawn near the camp grounds. Unfortunatly we did not get a buck but we saw plenty and had a couple opportunties. If anyone is still hunting this area and wants more information i will be happy to provide it. I only know of two deer that were taken out of the unit during the time we were there. Oh yeah, we also hit that spot gordo-o mentioned just east of Jones Ranch in the evening but did not see anything, but heard shots. I believe that road is forest road 224.

Thanks again for all the information. I may get back up there this weekend.