bigorange

Instant Pot recipes (not what you think)

I love my Instant Pot! I haven't used it much for game yet though. I made some amazing ribs in it last night (but they were pork). I would think it would be great for any roast or stew or for things like rabbit or squirrel or even quail.

Braised Venison/Beef Roast:

Remove roast from refrigerator~ 90 minutes before cooking. Salt, cover with foil, and allow to come to room temp.

Wet ingredients:

One bottle of Guinness extra stout

8 oz of Red Wine (Cab, Merlot, Pinot Noir)

3 tbsp Soy Sauce

1 Tsp Worcestershire

One tsp Marmite yeast extract mixed in .5 cup hot water or beef stock (optional)

Dry Ingredients:

One bay leaf

One tsp thyme

Half tsp dry sage

Dash or two of granulated garlic

One tsp anchovy paste

For the Roast:

Salt and pepper

One roast (deer/elk/beef) up to 3lbs.

One onion finely chopped

Two tbsp butter or cooking oil

Directions:

Wet mixture: Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients (except the anchovy paste).

-Heat Instant pot to saute

-add butter/oil

-saute onions

-add anchovy paste

remove onion mixture once cooked

season roast with pepper (and additional salt if desired)

brown roast on all sides in instant pot

Add onion mixture back to Instant pot

Pour the wet mixture into instant pot so it just covers the roast. Add additional wine, water, or beef stock if you need more to cover roast.

1. Set the instant pot to manual - 75 minutes.
  2. Let pot come to pressure. When the 75 minutes are complete, press cancel so that the pot does not go into "keep warm" mode.
  3. Allow the pressure to naturally release for 15-20 minutes, then move the steam valve to "vent" to release any remaining pressure so you can open the lid.
  4. Remove the meat, cover, and set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
  5. Press the "saute" button and allow the sauce remaining in the pot to come to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes while the meat is resting. Reduce sauce to about half.

Once sauce has reduced kill the heat. Slice or shred the roast. At this point you can add the meat back to the sauce or pour the sauce over the meat.

I like to serve with buttery mashed horseradish Yukon potatoes.

Notes: Do not overlook the Guinness. The soy sauce, Marmite, and anchovy are high in glutamates and provide rich flavor. Add 20 minutes cooking time for every pound over 3 lbs.